cracked motherboard

Currently reading:
cracked motherboard

psychofox

Legend
Turns out i somehow have cracked my motherboard, it is in the PC repair shop now, being looked at. They said they will try a few things to repair it, but have i FUBAR'd it?

all really depends
traces can be repaired

any pictures? where are the crack(s)?

That makes me feel a little better.
No pics as its in the repair shop now. I paniced and thought i had fried the motherboard. All i did was install a graphics card and move the hard drives out the way.

I'm pretty sure you can't repair a cracked motherboard; they're made of several insulated layers of copper.

what board is it? surely it's cheaper just to replace than faff about trying to fix it. even if the trace is fixed, it might've altered the resistance of the track and mess up timing / interference etc

what board is it? surely it's cheaper just to replace than faff about trying to fix it. even if the trace is fixed, it might've altered the resistance of the track and mess up timing / interference etc

:yeahthat:

timings & resistances are so important now that you'll see the closer side of a chip will have weaves in its track where the further tracks will go straight to the chip - this means the paths are all equal length therefore equal timing/resistance.

Modern motherboards have 10+ layers of traces inbetween the board so it is probably a gonner. People bending the boards is one of the most common causes of failure. the Intel 775 boards used to fail alot aswell because the heatsink would bend the board so much.

Last edited:

crap, I cant remember off the top of my head.
Its an older one, its takes an AMD 64, AGP (i dont need anything quicker), and DDR ram, also needa to have a SATA connection
I dont think a board like this is made anymore. I cant afford to get a new PC so want to use the stuff i have (car insurance month :( ) .

Modern motherboards have 10+ layers of traces inbetween the board so it is probably a gonner. People bending the boards is one of the most common causes of failure. the Intel 775 boards used to fail alot aswell because the heatsink would bend the board so much.

funny you say that.
was just looking at a board with a P4 2.8 on it,and was suprised how much bend there was in the board at the chip mount

remember the epox 8k7a? that the mosfets that handled the cpu power supply used to get so hot they'd desolder themselves and fall off :eek:
woops haha, I know the brand but not that board. We always stayed away from epox. Seen a few things de-solder before though.

We had a motherboard once and it must not have gone through the solder part of the factory. I took it out of the box and every single component fell on the floor.

Last edited:
woops haha, I know the brand but not that board. We always stayed away from epox. Seen a few things de-solder before though.

We had a motherboard once and it must not have gone through the solder part of the factory. I took it out of the box and every single component fell on the floor.

:ROFLMAO:

I bet that was a surreal moment!

Quick update, PC is still in repair shop, they said they have a few more things to try, so all is not lost.

Back