Technical couple of quiries!!!

Currently reading:
Technical couple of quiries!!!

hey hey, question time...

first of all... i seem (well not me personally, but the cinq) seem to be leaking coolant slowly. i think however i found the problem, the little valve just to the right hand side, as u look at it, of the battery seems to leak constantly... there is a bluey / white power like substance all over it and over the pipe below it... how easy is this to change?

also, since taking off the large section of sound deadening in the engine bay, i can smell something a little off, it smells hot, as if somethin is close to burning? is this a normal engine bay smell and i have only noticed it cause there is no insualting there? or maybe oil vapour? no idea.....

also, she seems to get a wee bit hot, upto 91, 92 degrees virtually every drive, the fan does kick in and cool it down to 88 ish, and i usually only hear the fan when parking up, not usually when driving, unless in traffic of course! is this a little on the hot side, even for a 1242? and could the slight coolant leak be makin it worse?

cheers....

Bushboy said:
really, 90 is the snormal running temp of the engine. thats why its in the middle :) 90 is perfectly normal really.. obviously a little lower would be nice but theres nothing wrong with it being on 90 or a little over or under. especialy in traffic! whats it like on the motorway? still 90?

well my typical drive to work is less than 10 miles.... 90% of that is dual carraige way driving.

doin 80 down the dual carriage way she will sit just under 90 virtually on the line, then by the time i have com off at a round a bout, slowed down to 20, driven 100 yards, turned right and parked, the fan has com on, that even in the cold s**tty weather of this morning.

i think part of it is the abarth bumper as well, dont they make they make it a little hotter by restrictin air flow?

i do have a 82 degree therm to go in just havnt got round to fitting it yet!

Firstly the smell is because you have no barrier from the engine bay to the air intake for the fan/inside so your smelling the engine which if you have a remote oil breather pipe from the rocker cover will smell worse.

The temp will be a bit higher if there is even a tiny leak as the system is pressurised and therefore even a small hole loses prssure therefore lowering the boiling point of the coolant. It does seem to get hot quickly then stablise, so worth keping your eye on it, the lower thermo should stop the rapid rise in temp tho.

I have heard the Abarth bumper makes it run a bit hotter, tho Julio Scorchio has one on his turbo and don't remember him saying anythin adverse about.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
Firstly the smell is because you have no barrier from the engine bay to the air intake for the fan/inside so your smelling the engine which if you have a remote oil breather pipe from the rocker cover will smell worse.

The temp will be a bit higher if there is even a tiny leak as the system is pressurised and therefore even a small hole loses prssure therefore lowering the boiling point of the coolant. It does seem to get hot quickly then stablise, so worth keping your eye on it, the lower thermo should stop the rapid rise in temp tho.

I have heard the Abarth bumper makes it run a bit hotter, tho Julio Scorchio has one on his turbo and don't remember him saying anythin adverse about.

Aaron.

so really i need to get an fit a new breather bit then.... then i guess a purge of the coolant system and all should be merry!!!

it isnt really the bumper that makes them run hotter, its the fog lights as they take up masses of space, julio, ian and pete all run their abarths with no lights in them... i think.

and as for the smell.... i guess an air freshener is called for! :D

Never thought about the bumper really. Mine runs at just under 90 constantly on motor ways..., but as soon as i slow down it heats right up. If driving for a couple of hours i can get it to about 96 degrees at very maximum. The fan kicks in nicely though and car perfectly runs fine so not too bothered. The os light is the wierdiest as it is about 1mm away from touching the radiator, which cant be good really. Im going to get a thermostat along with the new switch invention that petes half way to, when he finishes it :D Should make a nice difference. (y) BTW Mase it wont stop the car heating up in traffic... ;)

for some reason mine never goes to 90 only in traffic but when driveing around it sits right near the bottom like it is running cold dunno weather it has any thing to do with the horman front bumper or the novitec air box i dunno

Back