General Couple of questions...

Currently reading:
General Couple of questions...

brotherfergus

1. Does my '88 4x4 have a limited slip diff rear axle?

2. The panda looses charge, I've checked all the obvious wiring and everything seems to be in place/ earthed, can anyone suggest what might be the problem. It takes just over a day to completely empty the battery, its a fairly new one so it should be alright really.

** To all that helped; I have finally got myself a new gearbox for the panda, so, after a little more welding it should be open the road, the MOT is on the horizon, will keep you all informed.***

1. No :ROFLMAO:

2. Have you fitted a new radio? Thats what did mine. Some draw current even if not switch on unless isolated by a ignition feed (that the standard panda radio wiring does not have).

I think a common cause is the clock in the panda? May have dreamt that one though, wait for a better reply :)

Willie hasn't been used in the last 4.5 months (long story and I'm f**king :mad::mad::mad:) but started first time today so the clock isn't a factor, I'd also be supprised at the radio discharging a good battery in a day. Although if left for a while used briefly then left again that would do it and the battery would struggle to recover if only used on short journeys.

I think a common cause is the clock in the panda? May have dreamt that one though, wait for a better reply :)

Yep, the clock in the 750L keeps good time but drains the batt, so we always leave the -ve terminal on the battery disconnected as she's SORN at the mo, and we've got a Solar Charger thing connected to the battery and not had it ever go flat since. Was always happening when we left the batt connected though.

Batt in the Selecta isn't affect by the clock, but in there the clock is very noisey and dosen't keep time:(, so use the clock on my phone and the CD player.

Jon.

2. The panda looses charge, I've checked all the obvious wiring and everything seems to be in place/ earthed, can anyone suggest what might be the problem. It takes just over a day to completely empty the battery, its a fairly new one so it should be alright really.

1/ Disconnect battery and see if it still goes flat.
2/ If yes, disconnect electrical items one by one including alternator. Having a multimeter connected across battery terminals will speed this process up. [ Instead of waiting a day after each disconnection.]
Could be battery not charged enough. Another option is to get it checked at one or two motor factor/accessory shops, who do a free check.:idea::idea::idea:

Willie hasn't been used in the last 4.5 months (long story and I'm f**king :mad::mad::mad:) but started first time today

Thats very very good, mine wouldnt start after being left for about a month whilst left connected.

Whilst i've been at uni this term its been disconnected so we'll have to see if it starts when i get back this weekend

Thats very very good, mine wouldnt start after being left for about a month whilst left connected.

Whilst i've been at uni this term its been disconnected so we'll have to see if it starts when i get back this weekend

If not, get one of these solar charger.jpg, under £20 from Maplin electronics, and keeps the battery in A1 condition!

Jon.

Alan.D obviously buys good quality batteries !!!
If the battery is good [if it still goes flat when fully charged and then left disconnected then it's scrap ! ]
A common cause of overnight battery discharge is the alternator [they have a control unit that prevents battery discharge , this can fail ]

Hi Brother,
No, your car does not have a limited slip diff. and you should follow the example of every other Panda 4x4 owner ... earth every damned thing seperately AND fix an extra earth strap to the engine block. :bang:
Regards,
Chris.:)

At one point I left the Barchetta for over 6 months started first time ;)

I left this for over ten years in a damp lock up without starting it or even turning the engine over:

DSCF00432.JPG

Earlier this week armed with a can of Eazi Start, some WD40, a can of petrol, some wire brushes to clean corroded/ oxidised terminals and a fully charged Uno battery I worked on this for about two hours:

DSCF00471.JPG

And got it started and running!!!!!!!!!

No-one was more surprised than me! :eek:

Anyway, back to the Panda. If one of the diodes in the alternator has failed then it can allow current leakage resulting in a flat battery. Is there any problems with the ignition warning light coming on with the engine running?

If one of the diodes in the alternator has failed then it can allow current leakage resulting in a flat battery. Is there any problems with the ignition warning light coming on with the engine running?

O, there would be the problem with the 750L then. Battery light is (was) on when the engine was running, got the charge system check, and was the alternator, but said it would be fine for ages. So just disconnect the bulb from the dash. Charges okj when running, but might be causing the discharge problem.

Jon.

Back