couple of photos from the lakes (and stars)

Currently reading:
couple of photos from the lakes (and stars)

arc

this is where i stand
Hi all.

Not had much chance to go out anywhere with the camera lately, but I did go up to the lakes ealier this month to see my mum - took the camera with me and here are some of the pics. C&C appericated as always.

1>
DSC_4783-Edit.jpg

2> (i'd rather not have the dogs leash in here - but im not good at cloning!)
DSC_4791-Edit.jpg

3>
DSC_4814-Edit.jpg

4> Cheeky chops!
DSC_4828-Edit.jpg

5>
DSC_4840-Edit.jpg

6> Amber looking over the yard
DSC_4848-Edit.jpg

7>
DSC_4849-Edit.jpg

Stars aren't easy to photograph are they..

8>
DSC_4926-Edit.jpg

I think with this one a plane flew past, also there is a powerline in the edge too.

9>
DSC_4927-Edit.jpg

and finally, 'Odd One Out' ?

10>
DSC_4967-Edit.jpg

Thats all, feedback on all aspects apreciated!

6 is awesome! amber - the perfect model! the detail in the background really makes it interesting (y)
And 7 - i love how shes totally not interested in you or the camera lol!

Last edited:
:chin: looks glued to me

nailed actually :p

I love the perspective of number 3, what size lens you using there?
The contrast is great on all of the first 5.
Are you using HDR

Lovely photos(y)

they're all shot on the nikkor 18-55 (kit) lens, number 3 was shot at the wide end of that - but for wider i do have a sigma 10-20.

I don't use HDR, just lightroom to adjust the levels until it is how i remember it. I took some shots bracket'ed so i could play with HDR, but in the decieded it wasn't needed. Like with number 5, i have that one shot at different exposures.

6 is awesome! amber - the perfect model! the detail in the background really makes it interesting (y)
And 7 - i love how shes totally not interested in you or the camera lol!

she did keep quite still for a while whilst i got some shots, she wasn't fussed about the camera - she was looking out for Harry (new dog) who had just chased her down the lonin!

thanks for all the comments peoples :)

I'm loving number 5!

But I also think that number 1 looks better in Black and White...

Attachments

• DSC_4783-Edit copy.jpg
    DSC_4783-Edit copy.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 16
Very nice work all round, the lighting really sets the mood in every single shot, they have a 'good old days' feel about them!

I like the long exposures on the stars too, they're such a pain to do at times.

I think i'm going to get number 4 printed and framed as a present for my mum for christmas :)

star trails are a faff to do ain't they. I think the first shot took about 10mins and then the second was around 15/20mins. Problem is, my cameras noise reduction takes the same amount of time to do its thing as the exposure was to begin with!

Problem is, my cameras noise reduction takes the same amount of time to do its thing as the exposure was to begin with!

Most cameras will do that with noise reduction, something to do with the way the exposure works to fix the noise issues. I never use it though.

I need to get a remote for my camera so I can actually get some decent exposure lengths with it, no way am I manually holding the shutter open in bulb mode!

Most cameras will do that with noise reduction, something to do with the way the exposure works to fix the noise issues. I never use it though.

it is because if you expose for say 45 seconds, the camera will then close the mirror and power up the sensor for 45 seconds again. It then looks at the image with the mirror down which should be totally black, if it is not then it will subtract any bits of colour it finds on there from the image you actually want. It is to hide the effects of hot pixels on the sensor. I would use it, as each noise profile is specific to each individual sensor and theres no easy to do replicate it in software

Back