Technical core plugs on 1.2 sporting 16v- mk1

Currently reading:
Technical core plugs on 1.2 sporting 16v- mk1

right, my punto, 1 core plug went, i had it replaced (one on side of engine) then another went near the manifold i think, had it replaced, now today another one has gone! are they prising them out so i have to go back :rolleyes: :p na he showed me them and there rusted through, he reckons the cars been ran on water and not coolant most of its life and rusted em all.

so the one which has gone now, he said is behind the flywheel/gearbox? he said he will have to remove the gearbox to replace it? will he have to? he said total repair billl will be 600+ :eek: thats for a oil change, cambelt, water pump, and replacement of 3 core plugs. god help me :eek: i paid 700 for the car, and its costing £600 odd to replace some plugs which cost £3 for a set he said! :bang: is that right? will it really be £600 odd to replace some core plugs :cry:

if its been ran on just water its not worth paying that, the insides of the head will all be rotted away aswell, the alloy goes before the steel if you run with no coolent

well what shall i do then... i thought alloy didnt rust :confused: the outside of the engine which gets wet aint rusty? :p

is that price the right price then? he said its not worth doing so... but iv got to, i need the car, he said its blowing out blue smoke well over due spark plug change if that would make a difference!? lol how many core plugs are there? cos il get him to do them all cos they must all be rusty.

well think about it, a new clutch fitted is £150, all he has to do more than just doing a clutch change is remove a fly wheel about 6 bolts and tap in a core plug, so he is really trying to charge you 400 quid to remove 6 bolts

alloy don't rust but it does disintegrate

ok, well il ask about it tomoz...

ok, but it will surely be ok for a year or so? im gonna be selling it in about a year, it should last that.

ANY mix of alloy and steel/iron causes an electrolysis imbalance. One will eat the other. In this case, the alloy will corrode, the steel/iron will rust (assuming ran on water)

That's why engine coolant has additives and inhibitors.

For the nearside core plug, yep, box has to come off, so boosts cost a lot...the plugs are a few ££ each.

If they have started work, then you have a choice

a) leave the last plug. If two have just gone you have no hope for a year though

b) suck it and get it sorted

c) DIY, but you already answeerd that lol.

Kristian

/edit - roughly 9 plugs....one or two either end and 3/4 front and back...most can be done very easily though (y)

i dont think it is going to be ok, i think all your water ways in the head have worn through, dont chuck 600 at the bloke, have a go your self, if you get stuck and its not raining i'll come and give you a hand (point at stuff and say that goes there).

wanna buy this for 800? https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1551

Last edited:
love the binki in the last car shot dave (y)

what's the bill if you DON'T have this one plug done? If its already at silly amounts, may as well go the last bit.

You can pick up a decent 16v 1.2 for about £300 though with warranty, so may be cheaper to get a garage (cheaper one) to just do an engine swap?

Kristian

ANY mix of alloy and steel/iron causes an electrolysis imbalance. One will eat the other. In this case, the alloy will corrode, the steel/iron will rust (assuming ran on water)

That's why engine coolant has additives and inhibitors.

For the nearside core plug, yep, box has to come off, so boosts cost a lot...the plugs are a few ££ each.

If they have started work, then you have a choice

a) leave the last plug. If two have just gone you have no hope for a year though

b) suck it and get it sorted

c) DIY, but you already answeerd that lol.

Kristian

/edit - roughly 9 plugs....one or two either end and 3/4 front and back...most can be done very easily though (y)

well i cant leave it cos its leaking! il probably just get it done! if i wasnt driving id of probably given it a go my self, but iv just passed and have only been on the road for 2 days in 2 weeks, i really wana drive!!! :D

i dont think it is going to be ok, i think all your water ways in the head have worn through, dont chuck 600 at the bloke, have a go your self, if you get stuck and its not raining i'll come and give you a hand (point at stuff and say that goes there).

wanna buy this for 800? https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1551

well il risk it :p cos im not gonna just fit a new engine lol cant afford it.

and as said above, i would but cos i can drive it, i want it done asap.

and 800 for a 55s, im not stupid :eek:

love the binki in the last car shot dave (y)

what's the bill if you DON'T have this one plug done? If its already at silly amounts, may as well go the last bit.

You can pick up a decent 16v 1.2 for about £300 though with warranty, so may be cheaper to get a garage (cheaper one) to just do an engine swap?

Kristian

well duno what the bill is, but the car isnt drivable if i dont replace it... it just pisses water out under the gearbox/flywheel.

you can but then the same could happen with that one, i know it would have warrently but still, it wont be a warrantly for ever lol, and iv already had new stuff done on this engine, so may as well carry on with it.

not sure your fussed, but here you can clearly see the 5 rear core plugs. there are 4 others behind the coolant inlet pipe on the engine front, plus both ends. Sadly, this is the only clear pic I had.

P1010750.jpg

Kristian

not sure your fussed, but here you can clearly see the 5 rear core plugs. there are 4 others behind the coolant inlet pipe on the engine front, plus both ends. Sadly, this is the only clear pic I had.

View attachment 33017

Kristian

cheers, shows me what they are now :p i didnt really have a clue ;) im still gonna just let them do it tho :p how long will it take approx? for them to replace every core plug and order them in? just a usual small garage it is, i just aint got a clue how long removing a gearbox etc takes :confused:

Back