Technical Core Plug Corroded mk1 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Technical Core Plug Corroded mk1 1.2 8v

WoodyPuntoMK1

Punto 1.2 8v mk1

Had a water leak for a while and kept it well topped up...thought it was water pump ...i was putting it off cos of the faf of taking cam belt off and things but now i finally went to do it as it was getting worse...had a gd look and its the core plug right behind the engine oil dipstick thats corroded gunna be a right bitch to get in to do :bang:...any1 any advice on how to do it...ive never change a core plug b4 so any advice on removal & fitting the new one will be much appriciated ...cheers :)

core plugs usually come out quite easily with the twist of a flat bladed screwdriver through the rotten bit
in the old days of fords with large water jackets you could hammer in a new core plug and the old one would just drop in and cause no harm
if this core plug does indeed need an engine out to fix it (which i doubt) then i would fix it with jb weld in situ

Before doing the core plugs do a coolant flush with RadFlush or similar to clean out trapped gunk. It will probably expose other leaks but core plugs are cheap so replace the lot. If its the original, the radiator might be heading the same way, but not a disaster at £30 a pop.

Back