Technical Cooling system problems

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling system problems

bensbus

Hi guys, can anyone help?
I have just changed the damaged radiator in my 2002 2.8jtd Ducato, however I am having issues with bleeding the system, the temperature gauge is fluctuating and not getting up to temperature, also it has only taken 8.5 litres of coolant? I believe it should take 10. Is there a bleed valve somewhere?

Thanks for any help 🙏

Ben

I have just changed the damaged radiator in my 2002 2.8jtd Ducato, however I am having issues with bleeding the system, the temperature gauge is fluctuating and not getting up to temperature, also it has only taken 8.5 litres of coolant? I believe it should take 10. Is there a bleed valve somewhere?

Thanks for any help 🙏

Ben
Hi Ben
I recently changed my radiator, on a 2006 2.8 JTD.
I did not see any method of bleeding the air, from the system.
I made sure that the heater was switched on, and left the cap off at the expansion tank.
I have no problems.

I would (when engine cold), remove expansion tank cap - put heater on, and see what happens, when coolant is warm enough to open thermostat
Did you accidently leave any rags in the water hoses? when you changed the radiator
I also only managed to replace about 8.5 litres, as I could not remove all the coolant
Is your thermostat working correctly?

If you let us all know what the fix was, it will help others in the future

8.5 litres sounds about right because you wouldn't have drained the coolant completely when you changed the rad, heater and parts of the block would have kept some coolant.

Personally I would just run it and see what happens it will most likely sort itself out, as long as it doesn't overheat I wouldn't worry too much.
Diesel engines always take for ever to reach temperature in the winter.

Thanks for any help 🙏

Ben
Hmmm , i'm not sure this is gonna help , because you don't mention model . Being a 2.8 , it could be either a 230 , or 244 . A further problem is the 2.8 engine was produced originally as direct injection , but then later changed to indirect injection around 2001 , 2002 .
Now that i have said that , i have a 2.8 direct injection , year 2000 , and yes there is a bleed screw . It's on the firewall , between the heater box and brake master cylinder , beside the wiper relays , pretty much in the centre of the engine bay . It's a black plastic bolt about m12 size , should be under the heater inlet/outlets . You seem to know what they are , so i guessing you know how to use them .
As for capacity , yeah 8.5 sounds about right . I've changed mine a couple of times , and that's roughly all i've got in . Nowhere near book capacities , but with that said i have recently managed to get 11 litres in . However , i should add that was a fully drained system , and following major overhaul work on all parts of the system . There is an oil cooler and pipe work , significantly lower than the thermostat housing , the only access , which is higher than the radiator , so full draining would prove very difficult , if not impossible .

I would reason the missing 1.5 , 2 ltr of coolant is contained there ! .

Back