Technical Cooling fan/overheating problems

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling fan/overheating problems

rattmamsey

I have a 1.2 1999 v reg fiat bravo, I can't figure out why the fan will not come on to cool the car down. I have looked on this forum and on the Fiatboo forum but from the few answers I have read I haven't been able to find the reason why! I have changed the red relay just in front of the battery, I have also (today!) changed the fan for a second hand one from a breakers yard. Is it the temprature sensor? or some other sensor I need to poke or change? Shall I just bite the bullit and take it back to the garage and get them to figure it out?

There is no switch or anything on the side of the fan, it's controled by the ecu.

Any help would be great! Thank you very much!

Matt

my mum has the same problem on hers...theres power going to the fan the relay an fuse are all clean and fine...its got 12v goin through jus wont come on...how do u short circuit the fan to test it...ive read a guide on here but didnt quite understand it ?
oh everything else works fine temp gauge heating an water circulates pefrect and also new thermostat aswel

Thanks

So after much fudging around, almost installing a whole new switch going to the battery and routing it somewhere through the car, it turned out that the fan was fine, the relay i replaced was fine. All it was, was the wire coming directly out of the fan connector had corroded away! A quick snip and rewire, all is now fine with the world, fan works and car doesnt overheat! Hurrah! Now to get the see how much it costs to get me gearbox reconditioned, install a new clutch probably and make the rear lock work! Not much then! Thanks all for your helpful sugestions though!

Back