Technical Coolant Pipes

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant Pipes

Jambo1

Hi Everyone

After 6 years in the garage, I decided to try and get my X1/9 on the road. I took it to my local garage to have the coolant hoses replaced and I've been told that the coolant pipes that run down the centre of the car are rotten and feel like they will crush if touched.

I've looked on line and there seems to be a cheap fix of inserting 1" copper pipes down the originals.

I am concerned about the restricted water flow. Has anybody done this and if so, have they suffered any problems with cooling?

Regards

James.

Some ten years ago I replaced my car's pipes. A local exhaust shop made them for me out of regular steel pipe. Not the best solution, but with regular coolant changes it lasted this long. I still plan to replace them with stainless items, together with a major engine overhaul. The trouble you will probably find is that not only the coolant pipes are rotten, but also the pipes for the heater core. And the engine block's plugs. Essentially this means your cooling system is unable to hold pressure, and will boil at 100º instead of 120º or thereabouts. If you can do without heating, bypass that bit of the system. Repairing it will require some degree of engineering. You should also check the thermostat housing's fittings and the L-pipe exiting from the cylynder head. And the carb. Good luck!

Can I ask how you replaced your pipes ppalma? Did you run them through the existing pipes or elsewhere? What size pipes did you use?

I had some pattern parts made. Just cut the box open and remove the old ones. Theoretically you may drill the spot welds. But it's probably easier to cut a straight line and weld it shut. I cannnot remember the size of the tubes. 36x1.5? My concern with the copper tubes has always been how they behave together with steel and aluminum. But as far as I remember the tubes are not welded, so if you cut the ends you may be able to slide them out. And slide some stainless ones back in.

Thanks for the advice. Mine have holed at the ends just befor the rubber hoses which I have repaired, so I bet there are leaks inside as well!
Is this why most x19's get so hot?

Well I decided I didn't want the water flow to be restricted and after some research I thought cutting the lid off the box section would be the best way to do it.

And....

I was shocked by what I saw. The inside of box section and the tubes were actually in very, very good condition. Shiny grey paint that looked factory fresh for the box section.

My pipes were holed around the hose too and I had thought they must have been rotting from the inside but I think it must have been weeping hoses as it is only the exposed tubes that were rotting.

Anyway, I've got some 1.5" stainless tubes and I've ordered some 45 degree stainless elbows and a guy at work is going to weld them up for me.

Will let you know the outcome.

Yes, the whole body is e-coated and should have the shiny grey paint on it. But that doesn't prevent the inside from being rotten, nor the heater's tubes from rotting. Since you have access to the lower one, check it thouroughly. You won't get a second chance after you close the box. And you don't want them to blow up. It's a nerve recking experience, the interior gets filled with smelly steam and your first thought is "the car is on fire, why don't I carry a fire extinguisher around?"
Could you post some pictures of the ongoing work?

Back