General coolant level ?

Currently reading:
General coolant level ?

majorwejjy

i have recently been gaining and losing coolant,i have filled it to max left it a few days and sometimes it has gone up the neck of the bottle so rebled and put back to max then it would dip between min and max.So had compression test done today with no compression loss the garage tells me that my normal coolant level could be between min and max and to not top it up could this be right or is he telling me porkies by the way it is a punto 55s on a p plate
any replies grateful

your coolent level will vary depending on weather the coolent is hot (expanded) or cold. The main thing is that it doesnt drop much below the min.

So...For example if i drove for 1hr and then parked up outside my house and checked the coolant and it was above the max AND then came out in another 5hrs time (giving the car time to cool down) would i find that the coolant will drop half an inch -to an inch? Is this normal and is it all to do with pressure?:confused:

Last edited:
The level will change due to the temp. of the water. So as you say," a drop of .5in to an inch" given no over heating or leaks is o/k.
Check the level each day when COLD and if its about the same..........no probs.
Top-up with 50/50 not just water if necessary.

Back