Coolant Color?

Currently reading:
Coolant Color?

A

Anonymous

Hi, please can someone tell me what the color of coolant should be after maybe a year or two i know when u buy it it is green or red or yellow but are there different shades of colors i.e darker and lighter greens for example??

Its just i viewed a car today and looked in the expansion tank it was like a murky green color, but no creamy milky stuff under the oil filler cap so is this o.k?... so i was wondering should the color of the coolant always stay the same right through the cars life or can it darken?? or is their an engine fault ??

thanks

all cars coolant changes colour over time just check that there is no oil in u should be able to tell

it'll float most likely

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
Owner of the Bravo 1.8

Member Page

Mayo under the oil filler cap is not a sign of anything really. It can form from harmless condensation inside the engine block and its perfectly normal. If the dipstick is covered in mayo then you should really worry.

If the coolant is brown and thick then you have a problem.

Red, blue, green depending on the make. Slightly brown is ok too. The iron block will rust a bit and discolour the coolant slightly.

Every Alfa I have owned has has Mayo in the oil filler caps over the winter months.

Poor breathers I suspect, not blocked as I regularly check them.