Considering a van for Mountain Biking

Currently reading:
Considering a van for Mountain Biking

Kerr1992

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
Hi Guys,

I have been thinking about this for a little while recently, I do a lot of mountain biking but would like to go further away to try out different trails and have weekends away etc, however this is hard as I can't really afford hotels etc (I could get a tent but I'm not keen + would like to go with friends and family too) I was thinking about getting a short wheel based van like the Renault Traffic, there is room in there for a good few bike + plus a mattress for kipping on (I know it's not exactly legal but It's not hurting anyone)

Anyway, I was wondering what use thought as I would be selling my car too do so meaning the van would be my main mode of transport.

Plus, does anyone have any personal experiance of the Traffic to give me an Idea of what It's like plus how much I would be able to get a good one for (A few years old)

I'm worried that If it was a works van then It will have been uncared for so might be unreliable, my dad had one for a few years and he loved it :)

what other van types are there that are similarly priced etc? ... I'm not interested in a transit! they are far too noisy inside and far too expensive! :(

Thanks Guys! :D

P.S It's just an Idea for now! :p lol

Get a multipla...
Car, van, Passion waggon. What more can you ask for?

I drive a Traffic at work. They're ok, all show, no go imo but, they're economical and waaaaay more reliable than our Ducato.

Still say go multi though.
Ta

It has to be a van though to fit the mattress :p lol

I'm not really interested in speed anyway :) ... And economical is good because I would be travelling around a lot hopefully :)

Ahhhha, a double, inflatable camping mattress fits in the back of my multi, and the 18 v port in the boot runs my portable Dvd player beautifully.
Shazam...
Ta

I think he means that it's not legal to sleep in a vehicle on public property/highways or private property without permission.

I second the Multipla idea though, very versatile vehicle, loads of space, and if you do like @EmDee did it'd make an epic looking beast. Vans are boring (except maybe HuggyBenz blu73).

I think he means that it's not legal to sleep in a vehicle on public property/highways or private property without permission.

I really wouldn't worry about that as long as you are not drinking alcohol or make any mess what so ever it really shoulnd't be a problem. Also make sure 100% that everything is up to scratch on the van, insurance, tax, MOT, Tyres etc.

I've had a few vans that I've converted to motorhomes / exped vehicles. Storage of kit has always been my biggest bug bear, as it nearly always seems to get in the way, roof rack for your bikes would be good and a very long plastic covered wire lock.

Downsides that I've learnt to live with are:

Height barriers
Nightmare parking in small carparks
Toll roads often charge more
Other road users often show you no respect
Expect people to panic and watch you park / reverse passed their cars
You increase the risk of being breaken into etc as scum bags assume it's full of tools :(

The upsides far out weigh those for me so I am well happy :) helps that my current van is a Defender 110 TD5 Hardtop. I was fed up of breaking my cars / vans trying to get to the places I like to do my hobbies.

Last edited:
go for it mate, you can't beat a van for versatility (y) I'm thinking of selling mine in the not too distant future (mercedes vito).

Generally agree with jenks, although height restrictions aren't really an issue unless you got a high-top (that and my van is lowered as well so really have never had any height issues).
I also find that other road users give it massive respect, or at least fear - they certainly don't totally ignore your existence like they do when your in a cento.
And your van isn't gonna be targeted by theives for tools if it don't look like a work van (which mine defo doesn't)

My advice is if you want to keep bikes in the van and have a decent size bed, get a long wheel base van, when i sleep in my van i just chuck a ikea double sofa bed in the back which leaves not alot of room, just enough for my huge sub-box.
http://fiatforum.com/members-motors-non-fiat/252836-my-new-pimped-van.html

Last edited:
@eklipz3k
blu73
Do it. They're great vehicles. Granted they're a little "kooky" looking but so versatile and take 6 adults and all their camping gear.
Brilliantismo!
Ta

i really wouldn't want to take my van off road haha, that would end in tears for sure

this is about as off road as it can do i think lol
403713_10150608005306125_687701124_11305527_851283950_n1.jpg

Back