Technical ***Confused face***

Currently reading:
Technical ***Confused face***

fiatodyssey

Hopefully somebody has some knowledge on what I'm going through, but I have a 2B Sporting 04, 1.4 16V and the fan was temperamental. Sometimes it would kick in, other times it chose not to, usually when idle, stationary, which would cause it to run hot.

I've changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor and had a new thermostat and now the fan doesn't turn off! I'm aware that usually means that it's being read as though a sensor isnt present or that wire isn't connected but...

I've put the sensor onto a multimeter and I'm getting a signal, and I've checked the wiring, getting a 5V signal there too, and continuity in the wire is good too. I've checked pin 39 on the the ECU and that too is giving me a signal.

I'm confused? What else could it be?

Any help/advice would be greatly received and appreciated. Thanks all

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Judderbar.

The temp gauge now does nothing at all now. Before it worked completely fine. I'll try the relay!! Thank you

Yea the fan runs. I changed the sensor initially thinking it developed a fault. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. When it wouldn't of course it would run hot so needed to get it sorted. I initially assumed it was a faulty sensor. So confusing what to do next really

Hey! Yep you got it. Now it's a case of ignition on and the fan is already running and won't turn off. I have checked it was getting a signal but I didn't check the resistance! Unfortunately I threw the old one as soon as I put the new one in. Hopefully it's not too cold tomorrow lol and I'll take it out and check. Are they known to be faulty out of the box? I went with a Valeo one as well. If it's a faulty new switch I guess that's just unlucky. I'll try and pick one up from Fiat if possible

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I've ordered a new OEM sensor. I'll plug that in when it arrives and hope for the best. Hopefully tomorrow. A simple job turned into a headache!

Thanks Dave. I've ordered a new OEM sensor. I'll plug that in when it arrives and hope for the best. Hopefully tomorrow. A simple job turned into a headache!
When new sensor arrives Check how many electrical pins in the sensor plug and how many receptacles in the wiring socket.

On our car there was a break in the earth trigger wire from the relay to the ECU. It was about the middle of the run, grey wire, just behind the battery box.
It took ages to find the problem with the fan not running. The insulation wasn't cracked just the core parted.

Finally got the end of it after checking everything I possibly could...

It was the ECU. It had stopped sending a signal back. Power still going to ECU hence a reading still showing when testing on the multimeter but ultimately not doing what it was supposed to.

Changed the ECU and now its behaving as it should. Thanks all

Finally got the end of it after checking everything I possibly could...

It was the ECU. It had stopped sending a signal back. Power still going to ECU hence a reading still showing when testing on the multimeter but ultimately not doing what it was supposed to.

Changed the ECU and now its behaving as it should. Thanks all

Can you just swap the ECU from another car without any issues?

Can you just swap the ECU from another car without any issues?

No mate. I had a spare from another car. I installed it just as a check. The car didn't start (different coding) but the fan did stop, completing the circuit.

I got a 'virginised' ECU online, they're self learning apparently. I installed that and it fired up straight away.

Back