Computer Problem!

Currently reading:
Computer Problem!

SeicentoS

Established member
Good day!, my computer killed itself the other day so I had to reinstall windows XP, that went well and its working fine now.

The problem is is that I can't play music anymore, It keeps saying my soundcard is in use or not working, now I downloaded the latest drivers etc.. and it still says I have no audio devices, any advice as to how to solve this as it was fine before I reformatted =/ =/

Thanking you in advance :p

hmm, I shall have a look, I've reformatted it a few times over the last few months and the sound has always worked fine :(

Its an Advent PC from PC world, nearly 4 years old now. its got an C-Media AC97 audio device if thats any help, I just uninstalled it and re-installed it and an error msg comes up saying it could not start.

I have to go out now, I'll check up on this thread tomorrow, thanks for the help so far.

I'd say it's an integrated sound card. Check the BIOS just incase it's somehow turned off. Could explain why Windows can't start it.

First port of call is Device Manager, hold down the windows key (between alt and control) and press break (above page up!) and goto hardware, device manager then down to sound,audio etc, locate the audio device and look for exclamation marks yellow or red X's, click on it and navigate the tabs to check if it's working correctly, often you can download an appropriate driver from the web to get it working again.

Liam

sorry about the delay in replying, have been busy with work!

I checked the device manager thingy and my C-Media AC97 Audio device has a yellow exclamation mark next to it, when I click on it, it says "Code 10 (This device cannot start)" I've already updated the drivers etc.. and still no luck =/

Remove the device from the machine, reboot and if the computer tries to install the drivers on its own then let it. If it still don't work, remove again then install the drivers manually.

By Manually I mean if the drivers come in an .exe then take the "Packed" files and cluck have disk, locate the folder with the packed files you took from the .exe and install them like that.

Back