computer help needed, again!

Currently reading:
computer help needed, again!

Right so when I turn my computer on and try to open programs such as IE, MSN, Anti-virus etc my computer just makes a funny noise does nothing for about 10 seconds then starts to do somthing for about 2 seconds, does nothing for 10 seconds and so on. the mouse still works while it's doing nothing but nothing else does :bang: and it carries on doing this until the program has completley opened.

any suggestions anyone??? :)

Do you use restore points?

Everytime you install a new program your computer will set a restore point that you can go back to. Set a new one whenever your computer is running at its optimum speed. Then should ever anything go wrong u just revert back to it:D
Best of it is that you don't lose files such as pictures or music.

If you have 1 go to Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System restore.
This means if it is a virus you have, it should take it off all being well.

*NOTE*
Defrag atleast twice a week and don't use IE, download firefox, firefox 2 has just been released and has some amazing features.

smokeyjoe03 said:
Defrag atleast twice a week and don't use IE, download firefox, firefox 2 has just been released and has some amazing features.
I use IE7 [previously IE6], and never have these kind of issues that the OP has posted, so that can't be the root cause surely.

I don't understand why companies like Norton would produce something that is built into an operating system especially when they usually produce **** that doesn't work, causes more problems and everyone would be better off just using the stuff thats built in.

Norton are Gay and have been since forever.

Run a Scandisk and a Defrag, Reduce the amount of programs that run in background.

If none of the the given advice from this and all other responders helps come back and well help again.

Stuart DemonD said:
I use IE7 [previously IE6], and never have these kind of issues that the OP has posted, so that can't be the root cause surely.

You misunderstood me, I didn't mean IE was his problem, I meant "just use firefox" as a general pointer becasue its loads faster than IE.

done a de-frag and all seems good, for now :rolleyes: I'll do a de-frag more often now :p

Oh and another question lol. my pc-cillin subscription is about to expire, anyone know of any decent "free" firewalls and anti-virus software I could d/l?

I doubt the windows firewall is upto much.

Thanks again!

Someone at work was having trouble moving some data from a server.. Turned out it was 99% full and had capacity of 360Gb.. In defrag the whole drive apart from system areas showed up red.. not a single contineous file :D Took 40 hours to defragment :p

Hellcat said:
Someone at work was having trouble moving some data from a server.. Turned out it was 99% full and had capacity of 360Gb.. In defrag the whole drive apart from system areas showed up red.. not a single contineous file :D Took 40 hours to defragment :p
ouch!

And as for anti-virus. Get AVG free version, I swear by it and my computer is about as safe as houses (cept it has windows :eek: ) and it runs about as fast as my old 1.8 diesel turbo pug 205 (mighty fast)

Back