Computer Freezing - Computer slowing

Currently reading:
Computer Freezing - Computer slowing

Now i havent got a slow computer. and it isnt full of crap. It hasnt long been installed with xp(5 months i think).

The computer has started to 'jump' or freeze for a split second then carry on and it keeps doing it while im tyring to use the computer. Its doing it as i type this, freezes then suddenyl the letters appear on the scree. Same with the mouse, i move it and it will jump a little bit every so often.

Now i was wonderring if anyone has come across this and whats the best way to overcome it? Could it be todo with the overclock on CPU thats doing it?

Also whats the best way to clean up all the hidden crap that slows down the pc overtime? ATM i use ccleaner and some other reg cleanup tools an so on.

Current Spec:
Q6600 OC 3.1 Ghz
2 x 2GB Corsair PC2 8500
500 GB Sata HDD
Nvidia 9800 GTX+

Any help appreciated

J

Last edited:
How long has it been like this for?
You virus and spyware checked it?
Do you have the "Desktop search" thingy-me-doody? This will keep scanning your computer indexing your files. Its an utter joke in my opinion.

"Also whats the best way to clean up all the hidden crap that slows down the pc overtime?" - CCleaner's "Startup" option does what I need it to.

Defrag and clean out your recycle bin, as well as any temporary files you might have.

I doubt it will be to do with the overclocking tbh - generally if it is over clocked, it will either work fine, or will not boot. However, there is always the chance that the CPU will run at the overclocked speed, but the longer it is left on for, the CPU temp will increase until it keels over and BSODs.

Alt-ctrl-del and see what applications are running.

You can Google application (.exe) names to see if they are 'legit'.

Typical areas to look at for your problem are your network connections and USB/serial ports.

Ucof said:
How long has it been like this for?

Not long i dont think, its been slow for a while now but not freezing like it is. Been busy alot recently so not on it much atm so couldnt say when.

You virus and spyware checked it?

AVG with Spybot and it gets scanned daily and i never get anything *crosses fingers* everyone else around me seems to though :confused:

Do you have the "Desktop search" thingy-me-doody? This will keep scanning your computer indexing your files. Its an utter joke in my opinion.

Nope dont like desktop search, i make sure i get rid of it if i do or any apps add it.

Defrag and clean out your recycle bin, as well as any temporary files you might have.
Done/Doing again as i type.

I doubt it will be to do with the overclocking tbh - generally if it is over clocked, it will either work fine, or will not boot. However, there is always the chance that the CPU will run at the overclocked speed, but the longer it is left on for, the CPU temp will increase until it keels over and BSODs.

Yep, risk worth taking, or so i thought. Was bloody fast when i got it all setup and running originally though (y) just not so atm (n)
Alt-ctrl-del and see what applications are running.

You can Google application (.exe) names to see if they are 'legit'.

Typical areas to look at for your problem are your network connections and USB/serial ports.

No apps, i chek my apps running regulary, there doesnt seem to be any high uses apps using any memory orcpu unless i use photoshop or something.

still cant figure it out :(

Does this problem occur from start-up or does it happen after you have been using it a while?

If its the latter its a temperature problem.

THIS PROGRAM is awsome for monitoring temperatures and usages

temperature watched when using high usage apps, same with gpu temp. i use Core Temp. I have also done several runs of 12+ hours with orthos stress testing and all has come out fine on that side of things. Im running a Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme HEatsink with a Sharkoon 120mm Golfball fan with a fan at the top back and one at the bottom front. All three creating proper circulation. So i dont think its temps :)

How many accounts on your computer?

If there is more than 1 log onto the other 1 and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't its a software issue (bug, virus etc..)

If it does its a hardware issue.

How many accounts on your computer?

If there is more than 1 log onto the other 1 and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't its a software issue (bug, virus etc..)

If it does its a hardware issue.

only one accoutn and software would be on all accounts on this computer if i did have another.

May try nocking the cpu back down when i can find time, But id like to see if its software related first.

I'd say knock the OC down. Though first check if your heatsink isn't caked with dust. 5 months is usually enough for most PC's HS's to become covered in crap if the PC is on the floor or in a dusty room.

"did 1/3 of a defrag as i needed sleep"

:O
Leave the computer on whilst you sleep. If it is too noisy, stick your head under the pillow :p

I ditto what 306maxi says with regards to dust. Disconnect ALL leads from the back of the machine, haul it out, take the side cover off, get the brush head adapter and hoover, and give the whole thing a good cleaning out. Places to give a good cleaning are any fans or heatsinks you have, as well as on top of any cards you have in there.

Keep the PC on all day doing stuff and let us know if it overheats and starts to stutter.

I ditto what 306maxi says with regards to dust. Disconnect ALL leads from the back of the machine, haul it out, take the side cover off, get the brush head adapter and hoover, and give the whole thing a good cleaning out. Places to give a good cleaning are any fans or heatsinks you have, as well as on top of any cards you have in there.

I don't ditto that :p Using a vacuum cleaner on your PC can damage it with static :)

Don't use a vacuum on your PC, use compressed air :)

lol, if i can build and overclock a computer i know how to disconnect the parts and take one apart............

Also i have got a can of compressed air :)
Sorry that wasn't directed at you :) Just wanted to point out the pitfalls of vacuum cleaners and PC's ;)

Two guesses from my years of PC repair

Take any cd out of the CD/DVD drive, crap cds make computers come to a complete stop its amazing how bad windows handles cds.

Second to that perhaps your hard drive is going faulty, can you hear clunking and when it stalls does the HDD light stay on?

if its software could be a million and one things. :p

EDIT: forgot to say you can download a diagnostic disc form the hard drive manufacturer and test the drive.

Last edited:
I don't ditto that :p Using a vacuum cleaner on your PC can damage it with static :)

Don't use a vacuum on your PC, use compressed air :)

Is your hoover not earthed? :eek:
Using a hoover will NOT damage your PC due to static. This an urban myth created by Mac users.
The last time I checked, plastic does not conduct electricty.

Use a Hoover to clean your PC.
It won't end up with you sneezing.

Is your hoover not earthed? :eek:
Using a hoover will NOT damage your PC due to static. This an urban myth created by Mac users.
The last time I checked, plastic does not conduct electricty.

Use a Hoover to clean your PC.
It won't end up with you sneezing.

Sorry but you're wrong wrong wrong wrong :) Static electricity builds up on the outside of plastic (what the vacuum hose will most likely be made of!). Have you never rubbed a balloon against a t-shirt and used it to spike up your hair? :) Now baloon's are made out of rubber and won't conduct electricity but they will allow static electricity to build up on the outside.

I've worked for a couple of electronics repair places and both had special anti-static vacuum cleaners to clean electronic equipment up.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease do not use a vacuum on your PC, sure a lot of people do it without any ill effects for their PC but sods law dictates that you will be the one that discovers the effect of static electricity on sensitive components.

This is Sparta!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't think I'm a pervert 'cos I'm not.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.

*Smoke and mirrors to distract from the fact that I might be wrong*

:D

Herps - just a thought, can you not use task manager to see processes, ordered by CPU usage, to see what pops to the top/ spikes when the computer lags?

Back