Complain to Fiat or Stoneacre?

Currently reading:
Complain to Fiat or Stoneacre?

Arkseven

Horatio Caine
I have had a serious saga ongoing with a Stoneacre Fiat dealership this week. I just wondered who it would be best to complain to Stoneacre or direct to Fiat?

Basically, after having steering problems and reading up on here I took my GP in for a diagnostic and advised them I felt I needed a new steering column. They said it was just the suspession struts so I authorised them to replaced. However, later in the afternoon I was advised this did not fix the problem and told I did infact needed a new column which could be fitted the next day.

They agreed to waive the cost of the suspension and fit a new column. They contacted me and told me that the column they fitted made the car unsafe to drive and Fiat had to be contacted for advice. They could get a new column the following day. It never arrived.

Ive just been contacted by the Service Manager who says the column has been delivered and my car should be ready before they close at 12.30.

This has been going on since Wednesday with pomises the car will be ready everyday. So far no courtesy car has been available, apparently.

So, where do I stand and who will take more notice, Stoneacre or Fiat?

Thanks in advance!

As long as it's fixed and no extra charge to you for the time delays then I don't really see what the problem is? They did seek help and garage is not responsible for delivery of parts.

Unfortunally garages are pressurised (and ultimately the techs) to get the work done as fast as possible, I believe getting it 'right' is more important. Wasn't too long ago you just had to wait until it was fixed and that was it, just a bu*ger using public transport in meantime:(

Thanks. Yeah, you're right. It was more paying £65 for a diagnostic check that was completely inacurate that got me. Im going down later and I'll see how it goes. I just wanted to know where I stand if this continues into next week. I dont see how they could have made it undrivable by putting a "new" steering collumn in. But I'm not an expert.

Cheers.

Thanks. Yeah, you're right. It was more paying £65 for a diagnostic check that was completely inacurate that got me. Im going down later and I'll see how it goes. I just wanted to know where I stand if this continues into next week. I dont see how they could have made it undrivable by putting a "new" steering collumn in. But I'm not an expert.

Cheers.

Granted that shouldn't have happened, but what you loose on the swings, you make up on the roundabouts. You have new struts that you didn't pay for (y)

It was more paying £65 for a diagnostic check that was completely inacurate that got me. Im going down later and I'll see how it goes. I dont see how they could have made it undrivable by putting a "new" steering collumn in. But I'm not an expert.

Well you had to pay for diag anyway I suppose, I reckon they fitted wrong column?

You have new struts that you didn't pay for (y)

Yes, and at around £165 fitted thats a winner(y)

Yep, wrong column fitted. They had one sent over from the nearest Stoneacre, unboxed it and fitted it and it failed.

The one they had sent over had been taken off another car as faulty and put back into the box of the new one it was replaced with. It somehow ended up being put back into stock and sent out :rolleyes:

Oh well, all's well that ends well, new column is a dream and the struts are indeed a bonus.

The report also said I had a split back wiper - which I don't . Needed a coolant top up - check it every week and just had a service but ok. Also that 3 tyres are bald, which theyre not but oh well!

All in all I'm happy that its sorted.

Oh they seem to like the Bald tyres line in my experience they tried it on with me when i had my second service on the last GP...

The service manager didn't like me going into the workshop and picking my wheels up and plonking them on his desk depth gauge in hand.......

Oh and charging me £2.50 to top up screen wash (it was full when i took it in) they drained out my day glow green stuff and refilled it with their own blue stuff :S didn't pay for that in the end after a bit of an argument.....

Should have seen the looks on the other peoples faces in the service waiting area with me kicking off twice inside 20 mins :D Tell you what though they soon got my car done and i really think they wanted rid of me...

from our experience of having our cars serviced with fiat in the past it's a bit of a no go.
we now never go back to fiat unless we really have to (i.e. warranty work)
i'd rarther use a local garage i trust with the genuine parts.
the mrs grande punto has never been back to a fiat dealership (touching wood now) and it's now two & a half years old.

i have to say though that this garage has treated you quite fairly, is the car out of warranty as if not why the hell were you charged for diagnosis.

Simple! dealerships should shed the managerial staff (hence lower labour rates) and have one receptionist to take bookings, leaving the technicians to do a proper job & talk honestly & sensibly to the customers(y)

Back