Colour Code

Currently reading:
Colour Code

A

Anonymous

Can i colour code my bumpers and mirrors on my brava_S, will it look the same as the car body and shine or will they be a dull colour ( they are just the ordinary black factory fit bumpers and mirrors ).
I take it someone must have done it on one of there cars before .

you'll have to pre treat the bumper with plastic primer (i think thats what its called) which will leave the paint shiny like factory fit ones. I added front fogs to my sx which has coded bumpers and when i got a new bumper from fiat it had the same finish as non painted bumpers. i assumed that itd come preprimed. Anyway looks perfect now.

Re: Re: Colour Code

You will need to clean the bumper and leave no grease or crap on it, take it off give it a hot soapy wash let it dry then wipe it down with meths as this evaporates leaving no trace. Get plenty of plastic primer and take your time, Don't just go and blast the whole thing in one go, spary it lightly building up the coats as you go, if you get any lumps etc let it dry then use very fine wet and dry to smooth it out, clean it off then spray again (this is good practice for the final painting)

Get the paint colour code from your car then get the paint MIXED (Don't buy it pre made) at your local parts store. Buy more than what you think you'll need. Always better to have more than not enough!

Spray this in the same way - Taking your time pays off.

I ened up spraying the front wing of my car and it looks spot on, it was fitted primered and took me 4 days to get it to what it is now!

If you come to the feb meet you 'll be free to try and find faults!

forgot to add

With it being plastic i aint sure if you'd need to lacquer it also. i'm sure some one on here will know though

Re: forgot to add

How can i colour code my mirrors!!! The Main plate bit. if you get my drift..

Re: Re: forgot to add

i'd say the same method jay just remove all the mirrors bits

Dont the "S" bumpers have a rough finish, almost knobbly, to start with, the non "S" bumpers are smooth.

Dont know how this will affect the finish

Nige

Re: Re: Re: forgot to add

yes they have a rough to the touch finish on them, that's why i was wondering if it could be done or not, did't know if the platic primer would fill in those little rough bits on the finish or not..any idea's anyone

Re: Re: Re: Re: forgot to add

the bumpers will have to be sanded down to give a smooth finish. might be cheaper buying some old/new bumpers and getting them sprayed - i have a brava rear bumper all primed and ready to paint. email me if your interested!
nick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: forgot to add

to get the grease off propley use a tac cloth you can get these from any decent parts place. my advice would be to get them all sprayed properly as you can tell the difference rough price for both bumpers and mirrors 75-100

Re: forgot to add

you will need to lacquer the bumpers and mirrors or they will flake. i wouldnt bother with the mirror plates as they are aluminium and the paint doesnt last that long on them it flakes and corrodes as what happened on mine and i have just swoped them back to standard

@nick_wheelho#
check your email mate
and let me know.
cheers
Mark.