Styling Collision damage

Currently reading:
Styling Collision damage

Lead

I've had my car for nearly 6 months and it was bound to happen eventually...

...I have kerbed my alloys. ;)

Well, the front left one to be precise. It's a 9" scratch along the rim. Not too deep, but deep enough that it won't polish out.

I spent a little time searching the net for DIY solutions and the suggestion is to use very fine wet & dry paper and lots of water and rub it out.

I have been unable, as of yet, to find anywhere near me to do it professionally.

Has anyone ever tried to remove scratches in this fashion? Is it worth paying someone else to do it? Any ideas how much it may be?

(The missus is soooo glad it was me that did it! :) )

Oooohh. Unlucky!

Don't know where you are in the UK but there is an alloy wheel place on the A10 in Cheshunt (Herts) who does repairs and restoration. Mate of mine used them when he kerbed his front wheel in the snow in January. They did a real nice job (like new).

Don't know how much he paid but it can't have that much as he's a tight git!

Roja

2003 Silver 3-Door Abarth with graphite wheels and all the toys

Hi lead

Sorry i don't have any advise for you. Just had to laugh when you said your missus was glad she didn't do it.

My other half is always reminding me not to kerb the wheels.

Hope you get it sorted

Bev

It's in the same building as the A10 Hand Car Wash (which is very good too).

If you come from the M25/A10 roundabout and go north (towards Hertford & Cambridge) and then straight across the next roundabout it's on the left at the first set of lights.

Roja

2003 Silver 3-Door Abarth with graphite wheels and all the toys

HAHAHAH Lead, I'm glad someone else has done it so I can now admit to it! I have managed to kerb my front passenger one twice and have also scratched my rear driver one going down into my basement car park. The problem is the standard tyres that Fiat are using on the Stilo.

My Mk2 Punto came with good quality tyres, Michelin Pilots I think (which I later replaced with Michelin Exaltos when they discontinued the Pilot). They both came with a rim-protecting ridge which means it is much harder to kerb your tyres - my Punto rims were immaculate after 3 years of city centre driving with those tyres. Most tyres don't have these sadly so keep an eye out for them when changing your tyres next, it's worth the extra you may have to pay to be able to drive care free and not have to park yards from the kerb.

Fiat Stilo Abarth 3dr. Loden Green, Beige Leather, Sky Window, Cold Climate Pack, 17" Alloys, CD Changer, 260w 8 Speaker Stereo.

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by boywonder
...They both came with a rim-protecting ridge which means it is much harder to kerb your tyres...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But my tires do have rim protection :I

Seems I'm not alone!

I too have kerbed my front left 17" alloy, but in all fairness the girlfriend was nagging me at the time! [}:)]

Bren J
London

Crystal Green 3dr Stilo 1.2 Active

Unlucky Bren, your wheels are well nice too:(

I believe it isn't to expensive to get sorted professionally, my cars having a wheel sorted as part of the repairs at the moment, not my fault tho so I'm not paying:D

I am intending to ask about cost though for a mate, so I'll pass on what info I get!

53 3d Stilo Dynamic JTD - Sprint Blue

Use chips away. They do an excellent job for around £50. Maybe less, depending on the extent of the damage. They have a freephone number, 0800 028 7878 and a website, www.chipsaway.co.uk. I have used them and they are good.

Simon
'03 Stilo 1.8 Dynamic 3 door, Crystal Green.

Originally posted by sbaddison
Use chips away. They do an excellent job for around £50. Maybe less, depending on the extent of the damage. They have a freephone number, 0800 028 7878 and a website, www.chipsaway.co.uk. I have used them and they are good.

Simon

Hi Roja!

I don't suppose you have a link to a page within the web-site, and not the title page? My computer won't display the title page graffix so I can't get into the site!

Cheers :)

Bren J
London

Crystal Green 3dr Stilo 1.2 Active

I've gone and done my passenger side front wheel leaving a car park in Nottingham yesterday. I'm really guttedB) I've called Chips away who are closed 'till Monday. Has anyone managed to get their wheels repaired?

Simon

i got my punto alloy repaired after i put a huge dent in it from a pothole. did a great job taking the scratches out too

Met Cognac 99 Brava 100 HSX, what do you want? cupholders? open door warning light? grow up!

Back