Technical Cold Starting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Cold Starting Problem

MikeTowers

I have a 1993 Fiat Tipo 1.4ie which has recently developed a cold starting problem. When
the car is warm it runs and starts perfectly. However when it has been left overnight
and is cold it is a real pain to start.

When you turn the key the engine turns over but does not fire. If you keep trying the
car will eventually start although quite often the engine will flood. The best way I
have found to start it is to turn the engine over with the accelerator peddle pressed to
the floor for about 10 - 15 seconds and then release the accelerator peddle. This generally
causes the engine to fire although it might take several attempts before it fires and keeps
running. As the car runs fine when it is warm I suspect this is a problem with some sort of
cold start sensor and not the plugs or HT leads etc.

If anyone you shed some light on the possible cause I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Mike

My Tipo yesterday developed exactly the same symptoms. I wonder what you have found out in the meantime?

Moisture and cold disapear when the engine is warm. Old HT leads give the starting problems you describe. Try starting in the dark (ask someone to help you)- you'll see the sparks jumping around if they are the cause... (they were with me!)

Well, I normally would suspect that too, but the problem appeared overnight without the weather getting colder or more moist. That why I (like Mike) think about the cold start sensor or the like. It is totally dead when cold, only after almost draining the battery, the motor has become warm (?) enough to start. And even after starting, it won't run idle - I has to carefully adjust the gas to keep it alive. And it jerks too, until it's good and warm. Then it runs smoothly.

And it all started saturday morning so I really don't think it's the HT leads or plugs etc. But of course, who knows?

Martin

As far as I know there is no such thing as a 'cold start sensor' in the Tipo 1.4 ie.
There are two temperature related sensors: for intake-air and the cooling-system temp.
Both values will not change unless the engine is (really) running for at least a few seconds.

A 'leaking' ignition-coil-lead gives the exact symptoms you describe.
Try replacing it: exchange it or re-place it.

I had a 'bad starting' experience this morning as well, in an otherwise faultless 1.6ie.

With the recent bad weather in the UK, the road are being salted.

The resulting road spray is extremely conductive - more so than normal road spray - and turned my HT leads into a disco!

A wash off with warm water and a quick spray with WD40 did the job.

I will pull the leads this weekend and give them a thorough clean and waterproof.

Back