Technical Cold starting - here we go again

Currently reading:
Technical Cold starting - here we go again

ROGEROX47

Posted earlier this year and got some responses whichI took on board, but now its getting cold in the mornings the problem has reappeared.

My JTD ELX (02) will not fire up when it is cold. If its bump started for the rest of the day it starts first turn for the rest of the day. Fiat (and other) diagnostics throw up 'Glow plug Failure' every time. Have so far replaced all glow plugs, relay and battery, but with no effect. It has started first turn every day since spring so is certainly linked to ambient temperature. Any ideas?

I had a cavalier diesel that was like this, I had it compression tested, 2 of the cylinders had low compression, I had it stripped down, replaced the rings and valve seals and that cured it.

I had a cavalier diesel that was like this, I had it compression tested, 2 of the cylinders had low compression, I had it stripped down, replaced the rings and valve seals and that cured it.

Interesting - so the lower temp makes the parts contract thus lowering compression - and as oil burners rely on heat of compression...
Must admit, that's not something that would spring to mind.

sludge, I remember at the time my mechanic said it was related to elypical bore ware due to the higher mileage, I know he fitted oversize oil scraper rings, and it boosted the compression readings

Back