Technical Cold starting Engine Management light on white smoke

Currently reading:
Technical Cold starting Engine Management light on white smoke

JohnEX31

Hi, everyone, I am new to this forum as a Doblo user, previously as an X19 owner (now sold)

I have a basic model Doblo Cargo Diesel 1.9 D 2003.
In cold weather the car will start but the engine management light stays on. By running the car for a while and getting some heat into the engine then by turning the engine off and restarting it cures the problem 90% of the time.

When the engine starts in with the engine management light on there is a considerable amount of white smoke from the exhaust.

Very occasionally the engine will start without the management light coming on.

When the car is warm it will run perfectly OK

The initial thinking by a local mechanic is to replace the fuel pump, but I am not convinced but I am only a layman.

I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could give me some pointers on this.

Many thanks

Hi, everyone, I am new to this forum as a Doblo user, previously as an X19 owner (now sold)

I have a basic model Doblo Cargo Diesel 1.9 D 2003.
In cold weather the car will start but the engine management light stays on. By running the car for a while and getting some heat into the engine then by turning the engine off and restarting it cures the problem 90% of the time.

When the engine starts in with the engine management light on there is a considerable amount of white smoke from the exhaust.

Very occasionally the engine will start without the management light coming on.

When the car is warm it will run perfectly OK

The initial thinking by a local mechanic is to replace the fuel pump, but I am not convinced but I am only a layman.

I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could give me some pointers on this.

Many thanks
I would normally say any diesel that chucks out white smoke on a cold day especially if it need a bit of cranking over would point to low compression, the white smoke being unburnt fuel which if you stood in it would make your eyes sting.
However first before going in at the deep end I would check the heater plugs are working correctly.
I did have a 03 non turbo, pre common rail Doblo, all I would say is the later version was much better in both performance and economy.;)

Back