Technical Cold running problems

Currently reading:
Technical Cold running problems

cheeqic_nto

Erm...........
Hi all,
I've held out on posting this cos I've been reading threads and trying stuff but now I'm throwing my problem open to y'all.
I've got a '98 cinq sporting. When I first got it, it ran a bit odd until it warmed up whereupon apart from the famous flat spot at 2750-3000rpm it ran great.
I cured the flat spot by fitting the mcritch chip:worship: but it's still horrible when it's cold. I don't know if anyone out there has ever had a mini but the best way I can describe it is like if you start your mini and try to drive away from cold without the choke out. It's hesitant and won't rev cleanly unless you only use the first 10mm of throttle travel. It starts perfectly every time and fast idles at 1500rpm until it starts to warm up whereupon it drops to about 950rpm.
Bits changed so far:
Oil and filter change
OMP panel filter
New Fiat fuel filter
New Fiat leads
New Fiat thermostat
Coil packs off spare car, which ran really nicely
New radiator, cos the old one was scabby looking
NGK 3 pin plugs
Injector, off spare car
Map sensor, off spare car
New cam belt and tensioner
I haven't changed the lambda sensor yet because from what I've read on here it doesn't do anything until the car warms up.
My apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to give as much info as possible.
Help!
Sorry double post
Mods?

Head Gasket? I can't get a compression test sorted until the weekend but what puzzles me is that it doesn't overheat at all, ever, it's got no mayonaise on the cap whatsoever, there are no bubbles in the header tank, it doesn't use any oil and it runs really well when it's hot.:confused:
You see, I've got an engine in my 40,000 mile, full history, accident damaged spare cinq that ran really nicely when I picked it up and drove it home.
So do I do a head gasket or an engine swap?:chin:

cheeqic_nto said:
Head Gasket? I can't get a compression test sorted until the weekend but what puzzles me is that it doesn't overheat at all, ever, it's got no mayonaise on the cap whatsoever, there are no bubbles in the header tank, it doesn't use any oil and it runs really well when it's hot.:confused:
You see, I've got an engine in my 40,000 mile, full history, accident damaged spare cinq that ran really nicely when I picked it up and drove it home.
So do I do a head gasket or an engine swap?:chin:

Head gaskets can go in one of three ways. You have detailed the results of two of them, the third version is when it goes between two cylinders. The misfire at low speeds is because the mixture is disappearing into the next cylinder. At higher gas speeds it doesn't have time to jump ship.

Cheers

D

Yeah, I get that but the misfire is at low temp, as soon as it starts to show on the temp gauge the misfire goes. Does the heat expand the engine components and close the gap? Thanks for the help:)

Back