Technical Cold air!

Currently reading:
Technical Cold air!

SONPunto99

Hello,

I've just joined the site as I have a question which I hope someone can help with please!

I've just been on a 40 minute journey and throughout this time I noticed that my Fiat Punto heating/cooling system is circulating much cooler air when the car is stationary in traffic and warms up to a much hotter temperature once moving at a faster pace. I've also noticed the temperature gauge steadily rising when stationary and returning to a neutral setting when moving. I suspect both are connected. Can you help, please? Any advice would be appreciate.

Thank you.

Temp gauge rising and falling is normal. The cooling air passing through the rad keeps the car cool as you drive. This is not a problem unless the gauge goes right to the top without the fan coming on.

First step would be to check the coolant quality and quantity, and has the quantity changed since last week's check.

If all well, it could be the thermostat stuck open. Thats a replacement job.

Cheers

SPD

Mine went cool at speed but was normal temperature in traffic. It needed a new thermostat.

Dont skimp on the coolant. Modern engines of any type carry very little "water" and over heat in seconds.

Check the coolant and oil levels EVERY WEEK WITHOUT FAIL and top up if necessary.
If there is any sign of coolant loss get it sorted immediately.

Back