Technical Cold Air Feed

Currently reading:
Technical Cold Air Feed

Just wondering if anyone on here has attempted a cold air feed on a standard airbox?i got a bmc panel filter during the week and am interested to see if a cold air feed would make any difference. The fiilter on its own has improved acceleration and made it a lot smoother so id like to see whats possible without going for an induction kit (my insurance company would rape me if i fitted one).

I was looking in the engine bay and it would be a very tight squeeze to get a pipe under or around the radiator where it can get some air.If anyone has attempted this i would appreciate any feedback. Im intersted to know what type of pipe to use, where to mount it etc.

Cheers!(y)

Yeh i was in my local halfords earlier,but there was an empty space where id seen ducting before!said they were out of stock. Might have to scout elsewhere. Iv seen some ABS piping in homebase which would work well but id have to get about 6 elbow joints just to get around the nooks and crannys!Would it be possible to fit an air filter onto the feed to give it a bit of induction noise?probly sounds stupid but can risk full induction kit, so long as the factory airbox stays put the insurance company cant say squat.

Haha, id actually thought of doing that aswell!i know we have an old hoover somewhere around but it mightnt be suitale for the temperatures considering it will be so close to the radiator!
Yeh i was thinking of drilling,need to get the feed done first though!(y)
Cheers!

cash_123 said:
Haha, id actually thought of doing that aswell!i know we have an old hoover somewhere around but it mightnt be suitale for the temperatures considering it will be so close to the radiator!
Yeh i was thinking of drilling,need to get the feed done first though!(y)
Cheers!
just go and do the drilling tommorow, and then the cold air feed later on in the week, when i drilled my sisters punto airbox, she said her car had more 'GO' in it and going up hills etc was far smoother :)

Hey peeps :wave:
Instead of a tight squeeze around your rad, why not put the cold feeds above your fogs lights coz theres a nice vent there on the mk1. Thats what I did with my 1.6 and then drilled another 1 1/2 inch hole on the otherside of the box ,so I have 2 cold feeds comin in from above the left hand fog light and right hand fog light. Nice and sharp now! Just an idea though. Hope you do a good job :)

can you make some pictures of what it looks like i mean where its conected & fixed at the bumper side but also at the airbox sounds well good !!:D :idea:

im also watching this thread cuz im thinking of doing it too

cheers(y)

Last edited:
Yeh cheers man, I also need to know what the best setup is for this! My main problem at the mo tho is trying to find suitable tubing! Ive looked in loadsa places and have seen nothing suitable! Most of the motor-shops i go to have the feed pipes but they only come boxed with an induction kit! arrggh!:mad:

DSC00434.JPG

DSC00435.JPG

DSC00436.JPG

DSC00437.JPG

DSC00439.JPG

Well here we go peeps.
Sorry bout the quality, they were taken on my camera phone, and as I was at work I had to rush to get these pics as I would have my balls choped off if I got caught:eek:
But I think these give you the idea. Any questions dont hesitate to ask (y)

thanks mate thats looking good:)

however it seems that your airbox is in the front of the engine bay:confused:

i have a 55s so that will probablay be the difference

but would it be possible to do with the standard airbox ? wouldnt the tubing be too long to get more air in the airbox

I have the same as you but i havent got a chance to attempt it yet.Although from examining the engine bay i would say the length of tubing would be the same in both cases,in my 55sx the airbox intake is to the left of the engine bay(looking at it from in front of the car) in the corner behind the headlamp. So not a lot of tubing would be needed to run it down to below the radiator.Although the ideal way to do it and get maximum airflow (ie. with no turbulence or loss of flow created by flexi-pipe) would be to use a system of elbow-joints and abs piping. I came across this link a while ago whilst reading up on something else but this guy explains how he did a cold air feed to his golf, but the little part at the end shows how a guy did it to his factory airbox. (y)

http://www.koken.org/phillip/CAI/

yeah thats a good link man !(y)

i could use the ideas from that for my own but still not sure how to do the xtra second cold air intake on the other side .!:rolleyes:
what about you ??

i would need to clear out all the ripples and sharp bends then hey, oldschool

Last edited:
mikstar said:
yeah thats a good link man !(y)

i could use the ideas from that for my own but still not sure how to do the xtra second cold air intake on the other side .!:rolleyes:
what about you ??

i would need to clear out all the ripples and sharp bends then hey, oldschool

Unfortunately that is it.

You will be amazed how much of a difference it will make.

Back