Technical Cold Air Feed

Currently reading:
Technical Cold Air Feed

yeah quite some people say they notice a difference when i begin to do this i would need to take the original filter out right?

and get a replacement like the one wich is shown in that golf

or would it be better leaving the old in and just have a cold air feed what ya reckon?

Well the golf at the top of the page (ie. the one which is described in detail ) has replaced the airbox with what is essentially a diy induction kit as a performance filter has been installed in place of it, i imagine the americans dont use this to describe it or something. However this guy has done the right thing in installing this by making sure that the filter has a good flow of cold air, most induction kits dont have this feed and simply breath warm engine air just like the old airbox. The pics at the bottom of the page are of how another guy adapted the original plans to simply run a stream of cold air up to his standard airbox, apparently he got great results and it stand to reason that he should. the plumbing and tubing they use to do this is ideal because it is smooth and has no rippling like flexipipe, if i can manage it im gonna try this way! (y)

yeah youre right im doin it like that too but im gonna try and do that second air feed too

its also cheaper (y) then buying a induction kit and then ya would still have to make the cold air feed

Last edited:
A cold air feed is not everything in all applications. It largely depends where the actual filter is located in the engine bay. If you have one of the filters sitting on top of the engine even the best fee is rather useless when accelarating from standstill. It will help when the car is moving. But on problem remains. The engine will be under a lot of strain in the summer time when the traffic is moving very slow, which might lead to further long term damage.

A cold air feed can't replace a properly desigend induction kit. This doesn't mean a cold air feed is useless. To have the highest gains a combination of bot is in most cases necessary. But how the individual design should be to give good results have to be determined on a individual basis.

my car is the 55s wich has got the standard airbox on top of the engine[ so to speak] the standard air feeder bends to the left lets say to the back of the left indicator .

so my plan is to leave the standard airbox loose the air feeder an make a new one like the air feeder in the golf and then run it down on both sides like jami did. but i would use that plastic tubing

what ya think

Last edited:
Yeh that would work very well in my opinion, cant see why it wouldnt. I think you should defo give it a go,although youll have to use a thinner diameter piping than whats in that golf,the engine bay is good bit bigger there. go for it!(y)

Back