Tuning Coilies or lowering springs, and what brand?

Currently reading:
Tuning Coilies or lowering springs, and what brand?

I'm planning on having my MK2 Punto sporting lowered by 50mm, I have 16s on, I'm looking around the £100-£280 range if possible.

Anyone know any decent brands/offers going on?

- Luca:devil:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi mate,

Ive got FK's on my bravo, not had a problem with them. Lots of people on the forum have also used them. I would recommend coilovers OVER lowering springs if you can afford it, as you get the adjust-ability, plus shocks to match the springs. Especially on a 50mm + drop as you will be nearing the limits of your standard shocks anyway.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Cheers for the link Kerim, yeah 50mm is probably the best and that's what I've been told, best to get coilies then.

I was looking at the very same ones on ebay aha :cool:

How well do the FK coil overs handle a1ant if you don't mind me asking?
- Luca:devil:

Lowered suspension *should* handle better but if its too hard the tyres will skip and it will handle worse.

FK are supposed to be ok but nothing special. That said they are probably 100% better than the worn out original shocks.

No problem mate I was going to start a topic about this. Been looking at those coils for over a month now. Hopefully ill get them within a month cant wait to lower my car :)

Any you guys that already got coils how hard was it to fit them or would it be best to take it to someone to do?

FK are one of the cheaper brands, but personally I have had no problems with them. If you have a search on the forum you will see lots of people have fitted them.

On the impreza i have a TEIN set up, which has adjustable damping. You cant adjust the damping on the FK AK kit, but the ride will most definitely be better than just a set of lowering springs, due to the damping rate being designed for the spring rate of the springs. Also, you will be able to adjust the ride hight to exactly how you want it. You can drop the FK's up to 100mm at the front and 60mm at the rear.

Normally to get a nice flat punto, you will want to drop the front more than you drop the rear. Its much easier to do that with coilies.

PLUS... coil-overs LOOK better than just a set of lowering springs. Having said that, it depends what you want from your suspension upgrade.And weather you feel the extra cash for coilies is worth the benefits.

Fitting the coilies is no problem if you can already change a shock. Obv after fitting them you will need to set them up properly and have your tracking etc checked and adjusted.

Hpe that helps,
Alan

Last edited:
Coilies it is then, any other brands I could take a look at?:)

And is there noticeable difference in handling compared to standard??

Thanks for all the help so far folks, you're all ace(y)

Coilies it is then, any other brands I could take a look at?:)

And is there noticeable difference in handling compared to standard??

Thanks for all the help so far folks, you're all ace(y)

yes and no... depends on how much u wanna spend... fork out a few grand on a set and the handling would be drastically improved vs stock. fk aks will be at least as good as ur current set up, but u will notice an improvement if ur rolling on old worn shocks/springs. for 200 quid, u cant fault em really.

Hi mate,

There will deff be a big difference in handling over standard, even if you keep the same ride height. The set up will be stiffer, so you will notice less roll when cornering. Obv you will have a slightly harsher ride because of this, but that's always going to be the case when stiffening up suspension. Once you start dropping them, you will also be lowering the c of g of the car,which again shoul give you improved handling.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Not trying to hi jack this thread but has anyone any pics of a mk2 punto with 15 inch alloys and 45 tyres on with the FK AK Coilovers or the FK High Tec Coilovers, just at the money seem like good value

Back