General Coil springs - where to buy?

Currently reading:
General Coil springs - where to buy?

tomfoster

One of my (front) coil springs snapped yesterday, so I'm going to need replacements fairly quickly. I understand it's best to do these in pairs, so I'm wondering where to get them from? I read in an old post on here that EuroParts springs aren't very good quality, and that's where I usually get my parts from. Any recommendations?

Hi.
I bought a pair of euro part springs about £30 each I think, I only fitted the one that broke that was about 10,000 miles ago and it has been fine.
I didn’t have time to fit the other one at the time; it’s not likely to get done now unless it breaks.

Hi.
I bought a pair of euro part springs about £30 each I think, I only fitted the one that broke that was about 10,000 miles ago and it has been fine.
I didn’t have time to fit the other one at the time; it’s not likely to get done now unless it breaks.

Thanks for the information - so you didn't find there were any adverse effects on tyre wear or general handling of the car with only replacing the one spring then? I once had a single rear spring replaced on an old car and that seemed fine, but I wasn't sure if it was more critical to replace both with the front ones...

I think the general opinion is do both while it’s in the garage as it will probably be cheaper than two trips to the garage, and one weak spring and one new spring will affect the handling.
As I do my own repairs the first doesn’t apply to me, as for the handling didn’t notice any difference.
As for tyre wear no problems, but you should get the tracking checked afterwards.
I even drove the car for a thousand miles with the spring broken; it was only a small piece that broke off and apart from the rattle no adverse effects.
I bought two springs with the intension of replacing both, but as with most things in my life, if it isn’t causing me a problem and I don’t really want to do it, I don’t get around to it.

Back