General Cluth master cylinder!

Currently reading:
General Cluth master cylinder!

EssexUno

Hi peeps :D

I was on my way to college today and it was hard to put into 1st gear when setting off but at a round about i just couldn't get it in; i was literally bending the gearstick in a brute force attempt but to no avail. i managed to crunch the 1st gear in and was off to college, but even with the clutch down the car was edgeing forward, NOT GOOD!.

I got to college where i'm doing motor mechanics and asked my tutors what happened as i thought it was a selector fork or the bearing that had gone.

I'd been getting some black liquid dripping on my W?HITE trainers since i've been driving my uno which is a bout 3 weeks but i didn't have a clue what it was and has stained my trainers lol. Well now i know what the liquid is, hydraulic fluid. we bleed the system at college with dot 4 brake fluid and the clutch was better than when i first drove the car so was not 100% to begin with. I think the fluid had been there since the car was made because it was completely black :yuck:.

I'm getting a new master cylinder from a motor factors in stanway tomorrow for £31 and am going to fit it either that day or friday after i get some more brake fluid which i'm hopeing isn't more than £5?

so any tips on the matter of changeing and bleeding single handedly would be helpful :D

i have searched the forum and read through some stuff, also can anyone reply to my thread about the 866 cam in "999cc Engine Tuning, Can you help!?"

Thanks
Dan

Hello Dan,

Top diagnosis so far... white trainers, hehe... but just one thing - the best way to cope with a dead clutch is to engage first gear before you start the engine... and then start off in gear... not so much fun in heavy traffic I have to admit, but when I was 17, I covered 2000km in an Austin Princess with a clutch that wouldn't disengage. :eek:

See Louie's excellent thread at https://www.fiatforum.com/uno/29364-hydraulic-clutch.html I realise that was about replacing the slave cylinder rather than the master cylinder, but the techniques for bleeding are the same.

Sorry that your other thread had no replies, but keep up the good work and postings anyway :)

-Alex

Last edited:
If you have another body-any one you will be saving yourself a lot of time when it comes to bleeding anything, brakes or clutch circuits...
I hate one man bleeding, it is far more trouble than it's worth, enless you can borrow a pressure bleeder from your college? and i dont mean one you can buy from halfords for £5 that uses your tyre pressure- they are crap.

Good luck - i should bleed all my old fluid out soon really..

Back