Technical Clutch Slipping?!?!???

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Slipping?!?!???

Anstey

hi, i've got a 2003 mk2 punto 1.2 8v with 17,000 miles on the clock. I was at a busy junction and had to pull away pretty quickly so took the engine up to 5500rpm ish (the power band area) and just dumped the clutch and flawed it. at first i thought the wheels were spinning lots but there was no screeching and it didn't feel like they were and we moved of actually quite slowly considering. 100m down the road i could smell either clutch burning or tyre smoke kind of thing, i think it was the clutch but not sure. Has anyone else had this problem - slipping clutch etc, could it mean my clutch is going already? or can it just not handle 60hp !???? could it just be that i managed to wheelspin sooo much?? in the dry going straight with 60hp!! i doubt it though.

Good little test for a clutch is to sit at low revs in 4th and floor it, if the revs go up but your not going anywhere its slipping.

Definitely sounds like the clutch if you could smell burning, that'll be your friction plate. It's extremely common to have to replace the friction plates at relatively low milage, if you continue to drive your car hard, expect to have to fit another clutch (within another 17,000 mile) or even your gearbox!

slamming the clutch down on these little cars isn't a good idea.
it doesn't get you away very quickly and you are putting an inhumane amount of stress thru it.
I can easily believe the clutch is fecked after 17k with that driving going on.

the other thing I notice with mk2's is there is no clutch foot rest, maybe this helps the mk2's terrible clutch eating records?

i've only had the car for a few days so didn't know exactly how it would react and have only done this once and have no plans to do it again now i know so hopefully it won't be a problem. I've spoken to a mechanically minded person and they said if you rev it hard and dump the clutch and keep the revs on it is possible to slip the clutch in small cars like this (with the clutch fully engaged) and you shouldn't do it whenever possible. Thanks for all your comments though.(y)

Back