Technical clutch slipping

Currently reading:
Technical clutch slipping

suntan77

hi just had a clutch done about 3 months ago and needed gearbox , just got box installed by local garage. Thought I'd take it to local who I paid 220 incl fitting for clutch , just had gearbox done and car is revving in second third etc whilst driving without pulling to what rev counter says, also clutch has been sticking but feels really light! he says that loads of oil from box got onto clutch hence slipping and as drys out will fix this , I'm dubious as not sure if this is normal? He told me to lay off revs for a while, car feels absolute like it couldnt pull up hills , and revs in every gear apart from first excessively this normal

Ok and the gearbox was replaced as well at a different place? I am just wondering what recourse you have as gearboxes generally come with a one year guarantee or a certain amount of miles but if the two things were done by different people it may be hard to prove who is at fault, also when I had my gearbox replaced they did the clutch at the same time as standard so Im wondering why it wasnt all done at once?

Ok and the gearbox was replaced as well at a different place? I am just wondering what recourse you have as gearboxes generally come with a one year guarantee or a certain amount of miles but if the two things were done by different people it may be hard to prove who is at fault, also when I had my gearbox replaced they did the clutch at the same time as standard so Im wondering why it wasnt all done at once?

Had clutch done first, still no receipt ! Asked him for it ages ago , I bought gearbox second hand and he fitted it for 50 quid . Might take it to a diff garage to see what's been fitted

Ok I see what you mean now. The problem with a second hand gearbox is that you dont know what sort of condition its in and how much life it has left in it. I paid just under £900 last year for a recon gearbox and the clutch was done at the same time. Obviously a lot more than you paid but the work was guaranteed and 1.6 gearboxes are notoriously bad which was the main reason why I didnt want to risk buying a second hand one and paying someone the labour to fit it one only to find it was still not running right.

It actually drives like a brand new car now, no issues at all.

I guess its a chance you take when you try to save some money, but it could end up costing you more if you buy a second hand gearbox that turns out to be in a similar state to the one that came out.

I hope you get it sorted out and Im sure someone else here can offer you advice, they are really helpful.

Last edited:
Once the clutch linings have been contaminated by oil, there's no way to clean them, it will not dry out or burn off.
Replacing the clutch plate is the only way to restore proper clutch operation.
Brake and clutch linings are a similar substance, both need to be replaced if contaminated by oil/grease.

Last edited:
Back