Technical clutch slipping

Currently reading:
Technical clutch slipping

Stone_one

ok had clutch replaced about 5k ago has been fine since but today has started slipping in every gear.as in when i put my foot down the revs increase but the car goes nowhere. any ideas what this could be?? hoping its a simple solution lol its a mk2b 1.2 8v

Mine had an oil leak which was ending up on the clutch. I took it out expecting to find a worn out clutch but instead it had plenty of life in it but was covered in oil. Someone did suggest i could clean the oil off it but i decided it was best to fit a new one.

The leak was from behind the coil or the head gasket. Never found out which one ended up in the gearbox as i fixed both at the same time.

Think of your clutch disc as a big round brake pad, it will ware down overtime. Some symptoms could include, loss of power, slippage, downshifting issues, excessive noises, and like you did say you put your foot down revs increase but the car goes nowhere. simple solution a new clutch mate (y)

As the clutch is so new, it must either be a faulty clutch disc (i.e. diaphram springs broken/not giving enough pressure when released) or an oil leak, saturating the clutch plate. Either way its a gearbox out and job new clutch plate needs to be fitted. (unless you hold car at lights on clutch ALL the time and generally abuse it to the extreme ofcourse, but i highly doubt you could give it enough abuse within 5k to make it go so soon.)

If its an oil leak, make sure you fix this first, as the new clutch will only slip again if the leak still exists.

If its the coil pack o-ring, you must be loosing alot of oil through it to leak into the bellhousing and comtaminate the clutch, its more likely to be the crankshaft seal behind the flywheel. The seal itself is pretty easy to replace, but involved removing gearbox and flywheel to get to it.

Take it back to the mechanic who changed the clutch for an inspeaction.

Last edited:
cheers for the replies guys gonna give him a call on monday as thinking about it it was only changed in november. seems like this car doesnt want to leave me as every time i put it up for sale something goes wrong lol thanks anyway guys

Same problem i had, gear box seal has gone. Had new clutch fitted, then 6 weeks later it started to slip again.

If you do keep it mate id probably replace the clutch with a kit that includes a new clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing, also if a seal has failed and oil drips down and gets onto the clutch it will cause it to slip, so really the gearbox dose need to come off.

just been out in the car doesnt slip at all in 1st gear but does in every other gear?? kinda confused now as surely if it was oil of somesort it would slip in all gears???

ok had the car checked(briefly as he was closing) he seems to think crankshaft seal has gone and its gonna need a new clutch again. any one have a rough idea as to what i should be paying for this??

ok had the car checked(briefly as he was closing) he seems to think crankshaft seal has gone and its gonna need a new clutch again. any one have a rough idea as to what i should be paying for this??

Full clutch kit off eBay cost me £50, (thats including postage), and labour you might be able to back him down on a little as really, he should have advised you that there was a leak that could have been (most likely is) the cause of the slipping in the first place

Back