General Clutch replacement prices

Currently reading:
General Clutch replacement prices

ninajane

The clutch on my 75sx Punto started acting up last week, going slack at the end of the travel downwards and clicking at the same point.

I took it to a local mechanic and he took a look and told me the clutch had gone, so it needed replacing.

He quoted me £160, is this about right?

Also my windscreen wipers just went too- I lifted them to clean the car the other day, would this have damaged them? I was careful with them! Any ideas?

Suz16th

I was quoted £290 at Nationwide autocentre and £175 at Mr Clutch. I've got a sx 60.

My passenger side wiper seems to have some out of its catch thing after I lifted mine to clean the windscreen the otherday. Haven't managed to pop it back in yet.

Suz

£160 inc parts? thats not a bad price tbh, but if he does the clutch, make sure he fits a full 3 part kit.

Can you elaborate on the wiper problem? do they move at all? can you still hear the motor working?

OP
OP
N

ninajane

Can't hear a thing, they don't even appear to be TRYING to move. They worked fine a few days ago. I even thought I was trying the wrong movement of the rod, but I wasn't.

The back wiper works fine.

Could be one of many things then im afraid, although none of which should be too expensive to repare using scrap parts.
- Possibly motor coils have burnt out
- Fuse has gone
- Switch on the stalk have broken
- Disconnection somewhere

Shouldnt take a mechanic too long to find the fault.