Technical Clutch release bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch release bearing

symonh2000

Hi everyone, I have just bought a "bargain" punto 55 SX from the evil bay as a runabout and now I have it home the clutch release bering seems to be making a noise (slight screeching) when the pedal is depressed. Can anyone tell me how easy a job this is to fix on these, and am I likely to do much damage using the car as it is until I can get it sorted.
Thanks.

you need to get the gearbox out to do the thrust bearing.if your doing that you may as well do the clutch as its as much work.
unlikely the clutch has been done recently if the bearing is shot.
if oyu keep going the bearing will start wearing into the fingers on the clutch

It does make a kind of grating / squaky noise when the cluch is depressed in neutral, as well as in all the other gears. The clutch also bites quite low to the floor. Sometimes the clutch makes no noise at all however and only seems to after thae car has been on a long run.

Well the clutch certainly works ok, with no slip, but the action is a bit heavy, although this is the only punto I have driven so I have nothing to compare it to.. I am tempted to carry on using it, and if the clutch goes alltogether I will call the AA. I didn't intend to keep the car long anyway, just long enough to save up for a 20VT coupe.

Back