Technical Clutch problems

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch problems

Well I think its on its way out.

There is a funny scratching whirr coming from the engine bay when I dip the clutch. Up until recently every gear was hard to get into when it was warm, that seems to have improved drastically all of a sudden, but the whirr is worrying me.

Any Ideas?

when u press the clutch, a fork pushes the realese bearing into the splines. if the bearing is knackered, it'll make a noise when u do that. it sounds like it is dying.

its a gearbox off job to fix, and you may as well replace the whole clutch whilst you're at it.

I think mine is on its last legs, or at least some part of the clutch is. I had the car parked on a hill the other day so it was in gear when i started it. The clutch was depressed of course but the car still tried to drive itself forward on the starter motor. It just kept rocking on the handbrake when i was turning the key.

Also i was swapping wheels over the other day, i had the car on but in neutral. As i was jacking it up and the wheel cleared the ground it started rotating, and at some pace too. I then had to get the wheel back on and lined up with a a moving hub. You could stop the hub spinning by holding it, still made an easy job all that more difficult.

GeX said:
Also i was swapping wheels over the other day, i had the car on but in neutral. As i was jacking it up and the wheel cleared the ground it started rotating, and at some pace too. I then had to get the wheel back on and lined up with a a moving hub. You could stop the hub spinning by holding it, still made an easy job all that more difficult.

Mine does that...I understand that its due to friction in the differential..I think :s...I'll investigate tomorrow and clarify, but its not unusual!

GeX said:

The internal friction in the gearbox will make the wheels turn, the fact that you could stop it with your hand meant it was not in gear at all.

Cheers

D

Oh, the joys of FIAT ownership! I may well be looking at a clutch replacement job in the (hopefully distant) future myself. I'm getting a whirring noise that goes when the clutch pedal's depressed - garage says it's a worn clutch release bearing. Great! Gears are stiff from cold, but usually loosen up later.

I'd not drive too far from home. There is a guide, takes all weekend, needs trolly jack, axle stands and partner occasionally, best to replace the cable as well, experience is a hard school to learn in.

Noel

Oh, the joys of FIAT ownership! I may well be looking at a clutch replacement job in the (hopefully distant) future myself. I'm getting a whirring noise that goes when the clutch pedal's depressed - garage says it's a worn clutch release bearing. Great! Gears are stiff from cold, but usually loosen up later.

Mine is exactly the same at 54k miles.

Sol

Hi

Mine did 66k squeaked for a second like a mouse then went bang.

Don't forget to replace the clutch cable as well, while you have better access.

Noel

I have a problem with the clutch on a 1.1 sporting, the clutch peddle is pretty low to the floor and is making a creaking /cracking sound when depressed. I have tried adjusting the cable at the gearbox side but this hasn't helped.

The creaking sounds as if it's coming from inside the gearbox bellhousing, am I right to suspect a broken selector fork or missing pressure plate springs? or is there something more obvious that I could of missed.

Back