General Clutch problem

Currently reading:
General Clutch problem

philip17

Hi, I have a problem with the clutch on my Doblo 1.3 multijet 2004. It is very, very difficult to engage any gear especially 1st and reverse and the pedal has to be pressed hard to the floor. There is a lot of free travel and the pedal does not return to its proper position when released but only comes back about halfway. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi, I have a problem with the clutch on my Doblo 1.3 multijet 2004. It is very, very difficult to engage any gear especially 1st and reverse and the pedal has to be pressed hard to the floor. There is a lot of free travel and the pedal does not return to its proper position when released but only comes back about halfway. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

How is the fluid..?

Clean and a good level..??

My mj grinds in reverse and has a LOW pedal.. but pedal moves fine .. I think its just worn out clutch..107k

Check clutch pedal return spring (if it has one) check pedal not obstructed.

There is a spring inside the clutch master cylinder which is meant to push the piston back when pedal released.

Check fluid level.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think it is probably the cylinder so I am going to replace the slave and master cylinders it doesn't look too difficult job just a bit difficult for an old fart to get at. Remove the front seat?

I am finding working in footwells increasingly difficult . if taking seat out helps you do it but disconnect battery first and be careful with electrical wiring to seat for air bag sensors etc.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

J

Check clutch pedal return spring (if it has one) check pedal not obstructed.

There is a spring inside the clutch master cylinder which is meant to push the piston back when pedal released.

Check fluid level.

A good bit of advanced engineering putting the return spring inside the cylinder. Just a shame it is such a stupid idea. What was wrong with the old way? I have had a lot of cars over the years and the only failure of the master has been the advanced design of the spring inside the cylinder in 2017. The other 83 cars that have been involved in my lifetimes driving didn't use this advanced idea, and didn't fail either. Hat off to the Gold Plated Twit who's idea this was. It of course might work if built properly..... Makes a case for the 8 track stereo of cars, the electric one. Reminds me of the remote mounted oil cooler on one of many Renaults. Looked like a silly idea and likely to fail which of course it duly did not that long after purchase.

Now we should all buy One of the 200 mile range 500e's perhaps to get away from the problem.... or was that 135 miles or am I being unreasonably sceptical.

With cars I always think if it doesn't look feel and sound right then it won't be. Never proved wrong yet.

I am finding working in footwells increasingly difficult . if taking seat out helps you do it but disconnect battery first and be careful with electrical wiring to seat for air bag sensors etc.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

J

Thanks for that pointerI wouldn't have thought of doing it. The parts have arrived so will be doing it tomorrow and yes will let you know the outcome.

Last edited:
All changed and clutch back to normal. The problem was the master cylinder but both cylinders changed anyway.

Back