Technical clutch pedal

Currently reading:
Technical clutch pedal

nikkiy9

Rallying Crazy guy
just jumped in the car to drive to college and the pedal is really stiff, any ideas what it could be? mk1 60s

Disconnect the clutch slave cylinder from the linkage on the gearbox and move by hand. If this is virtually impossible to move, then you can eliminate the hydraulics as a possible cause. Possibly the clutch release bearing is starting to seize (all sorted with a full clutch kit)

The realease bearing has probably chewed through the clutch cover and can't go any further. Change the clutch asap.

Am I right in saying that if the clutch release bearing goes too far, it can actually damage the gearbox casing? If that were to happen, I am guessing yu couldn't even do a swap with a reconditioning company since the case will be useless.

Never come accross gearbox damage, the clutch fork can get chewed up a bit. Half hour with a file usually makes it servicable again, although occassionaly it's too far gone.

turns out it was the clutch slave cylinder, the rubber boot has split and let crap onto the piston, gave it a good clean and its working like new for the time being!

i know it was a strange one, but the pedal is back to how it was when i bought the car 14 months ago!

Keep an eye on it. My clutch was heavy, I bled the hydraulics (no leaks) and all was fine for a while then the problem came back. Sorted with a new clutch and a new slave cyl as a precaution.

Back