General Clutch or just the cable

Currently reading:
General Clutch or just the cable

JeffF

Hi all (My first post)

I searched through a lot of previous threads but haven't found anything positive on this so here goes ....

The car is a Seicento 1100 Sporting and in the last week I've had to adjust the clutch 3 or 4 times. It can't be the adjuster slipping because it's one of those that goes a half turn at a time into a semi circular slot in the activating arm (not sure if I'm using the right terms here). I get a nice smooth gearchange after adjusting but pretty quickly it deteriorates to the point where I can't get it into gear and it needs adjustment again.

I thought at first that the cable was going stretchy prior to failing (it's lasted 56000 miles so far so a change is well due) but I suppose it could also be the release mechanism collapsing.

What's most likely? Or are there more checks I can do (short of dismantling) to tie it down?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi jeffF

If you are gonna fix it yourself and it needed a clutch it is a good idea to replace the cable and any thing else that you detect at or nezr the end of its service life.

So try a new cable first, cross fingers, as you replace, I dont need a new clutch, I dont need a new clutch,...

Noel

Back