Technical Clutch noise and rattle

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch noise and rattle

CMG

Hi all,

You all helped me out last time locating a clutch cable for my 1.3 petrol 99 firoino, lets see if you can go one better....

There is a rattling noise from the clutch which gets worse when i depress the clutch pedal. The rattle is still present when idle, but is not noticable while driving at higher speeds. I've also noticed the clutch pedal boucing.

I think it is a clutch plate issue and these need replacing.... Has anybody had any experience of this and if so, how easy/long is it to change the clutch plates and is there any guidence/ step by step info avaliable?

A big thanks!
Chris

Hi all,

You all helped me out last time locating a clutch cable for my 1.3 petrol 99 firoino, lets see if you can go one better....

There is a rattling noise from the clutch which gets worse when i depress the clutch pedal. The rattle is still present when idle, but is not noticable while driving at higher speeds. I've also noticed the clutch pedal boucing.

I think it is a clutch plate issue and these need replacing.... Has anybody had any experience of this and if so, how easy/long is it to change the clutch plates and is there any guidence/ step by step info avaliable?

A big thanks!
Chris

Chris, sounds like it hasnt got long to live,my Hillman imp did this a while back once stripped down the clutch release bearing was the fault,would have thought the clutch would be easy to do,it isnt a bad job on a diesel,its hard at home lying on ur back though.

Regards

Richie

im having exactly the same problem with my mk2 punto!
its so annoying! just sat there and all you can hear is RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE :bang:
i took it to a garage and they didnt quite know what was wrong with it. they said it could been either my release bearing, which i thought it was as soon as it starting making the noise, or my gear box. im no mechinal but the gear box should rattle right? even if there IS something wrong with it. more of a grinding noise.
i dunno...they just told me id have to pay around £400 to get it all replaced.
is the release bearing something that is fairly easy to replace?

Back