clutch judder

Currently reading:
clutch judder

F

fbarcode

Hi,
The car is 1.9JTD Marea Weekend, year 2001.
I had clutch change 20k miles ago, and now, it's starting to judder.

The thing is, that it judders only when engine is warm and pulling away in 1st gear. When I say warm, it means, that engine reaches running temperature. When engine is cold, there is no judder at all.

When I release the clutch pedal, it judders just before clutch is fully engaged. If I push throttle harder, the judder increase. When starting uphill, with 3 persons in the car, it is absolutely horrifying, it judders like hell. The only thing I can do is to pull away with as little throttle as possible.

I have to say that those 20k miles consisted (80%) of stop - 1st gear - stop driving on 10mile journeys (through city traffic), so it may be normal, but I think that 20k is really soon for a clutch to break apart.

My car did this when the pressure plate warped..

1997 Fiat Bravo 1.6 SX
RUNNING WELL
Needs some cosmetic work;
-Need to respray front wing (Colour doesnt match);
-Could also do with a clean;
-Need new bump strips;
-Want new wheels.

it will be the fly wheel. the jtd's have a dual mass one which causes the described problem when gone wrong

Hi There,

Yup agree with Ash , had my clutch 2k ago for exactly that problem and slipping ( 1.9 jtd brava), there is more than 27mm lateral movement(maximum allowed) on the fly wheel so i,m afraid its a new flywheel ( or refurb) and might as well lob a new clutch in as well as it is all apart ! Probably what you didn't want to hear.
There are companies that refurb the dual mass fly wheels (mine was done in Bradford ) not by me though so sadly could not get any contact details for you until the new year.
Let me know if i can be of any more help

Cheers,

Kev walker

Yep, that is not what I wanted to hear, you are right, I was thinking that clutch will be the worst possible diagnose :(.

You changed the clutch together with fly wheel, if I understood you correctly? And clutch was ruined?

Thank you for you offer on refurbing companies, but I do not live in England, so I'll have to look for them myself.

hi again,

The flywheel had worn the pressure plate prematurely.
The "fingers" on the pressure plaate had almost been cut through by the thrust bearing, according to the mechanic he had seen this on a range rover with a dual mass flywheel , my clutch had only covered about 25k when it started to fail. The "damping" on the dual mass flywheel gets very soft and causes the clutch to snatch and judder well thats how it was explained to me !! Its sad that more and more manufacturers are fitting these damn flywheels for no apparent reason from what i can see all they have done is move the damping from the friction plate to the flywheel. Maybe someone could shed light onto the plus's of having such a setup fitted to the drive train.

Good luck with your repair

Regards,

Kev Walker