Technical Clutch judder new clutch needed?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch judder new clutch needed?

Yes, clutch judder is caused by uneven grip between the friction plate and the clutch cover. Make sure you check the oil seals when you have the gearbox out as it is sometimes caused by oil contamination of the friction material:)

The clutch is not difficult to change but I am not sure I would want to try it on the ground although it has probably been done. The problem is trying to line everything up to refit the box lying on your back under the car. Very good luck:)

Clutches on the 1250 16v Bravos and Bravas are very much a consumable item, unfortunately.. unlike most other modern cars on the road that rarely need a clutch change before the car itself expires. When you get it out you'll be amazed at how little "meat" is on the clutch when you consider that these are moderately heavy, medium sized cars. It's a Punto clutch really..

Be careful not to distort the thin metal panel covering the bellhousing opening, you can get lots of noise if this contacts the rotating parts..

Doing it on the ground is possible if you have some rope and someone to hold it from above! You also need to brace the engine as two of the three engine mounts are on the gearbox.

Done this twice now, I'd be willing to help but it's all coming back to me

panic.jpg

Nah I'll see if I can and get back to you soon (y)

Back