Technical Clutch / input shaft bearing on the way out?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch / input shaft bearing on the way out?

My 1.1 ECO has developed a squeak (dry bearing) type noise, evident at idle in neutral. When I dip the clutch the noise goes away. Read in an old thread that this could be gearbox input shaft related. I have also noticed occasionally the gearchange is a bit stiff but all gear engage OK and no apparent signs of clutch slipping in normal driving. Mileage is 127,000 and I have owned since approx 70,000 but no idea if on original clutch or not.

Is this a sign that the clutch is at end of life and is the input shaft bearing replaced with a new clutch kit? If clutch replacement required what is a good ball park figure for this job (not something I would attempt myself)?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Any help appreciated. Many thanks!

My 1.1 ECO has developed a squeak (dry bearing) type noise, evident at idle in neutral. When I dip the clutch the noise goes away. Read in an old thread that this could be gearbox input shaft related. I have also noticed occasionally the gearchange is a bit stiff but all gear engage OK and no apparent signs of clutch slipping in normal driving. Mileage is 127,000 and I have owned since approx 70,000 but no idea if on original clutch or not.

Is this a sign that the clutch is at end of life and is the input shaft bearing replaced with a new clutch kit? If clutch replacement required what is a good ball park figure for this job (not something I would attempt myself)?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Any help appreciated. Many thanks!
sounds more like the clutch release bearing to me

which is part of the clutch kit

the input bearing is part of the gearbox. If there is oil inside the bellhousing (put you finger through the inspection hole while the engine is off.) You will need a input shaft bearing and seal as well. If its dry there's a Good chance its okay. When the gearbox is out check for end play of the shaft. There shouldn't be any left to right wiggle, play

A worn out clutch feels heavy and does not properly disengage making first gear hard to select and reverse noisy if it engages at all.
If you have a hydraulic clutch bleed the fluid and see if it improves. It might be better for a while then go off again. It's common for a worn master cylinder to pull air past the seals. New master costs about £60.

Failing gearbox bearing is noisy with engine idles in neutral, goes quiet when the clutch pedal is pushed down and noisy when clutch released. A really bad bearing is noisy with the engine in gear but again goes quite when clutch pedal is pressed down.

Noise for the movement of the clutch lever is the pivot bushes. Its annoying. Nothing more. If it really bothers you, change the bushes when the clutch is replaced.

Any oil in the gearbox

dry squeaky sound with the clutch pedal up is normally the realise bearing in my experience. Goes away when the pedal is pressed it suddenly stops

a input bearing normally grumbles, knocks and fades when you press the clutch

Had a few realise bearing that have lost all there grease. A lot of the internet diagnostic pages are misleading. But there's plenty of examples on YouTube of squeaky release bearing

Last edited:
Back