Technical Clutch help

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch help

Mufflaz2005

How do you bleed a clutch cylinder on a 1.2 8v because my pedal is near the floor on biting point and quite notch feeling and quite hard clutch, thanks

Your clutch may be on the way out.

But to bleed it, there is a valve on the slave cylinder on top of the gearbox. Done the same way as the brakes as it shares the same system (y)

Bleeding it wont do anything, though a new slave cylinder with a new clutch makes sense. The hard knotchy springy feeling is because the clutch spring plate is failing. If the release bearing is also packing up (they usually go together) it can damage the gearbox shaft which carries the clutch.

Hiya :) This was happening to me [tried to explain the strange sensation and vibration on the clutch to people but they thought I was talking a load of bull] and my clutch actually went this morning-with an incredibly loud crunch! Still to get it to a garage... what are the chances that my gearbox has been affected now too?? - and any idea as to what I'll need to fork out?? Im not mechanically minded at ALL so have to go to a garage and being female usually get fleeced. It's an old 99 punto and has clocked just over 80k on the clock-is it worth replacing?? Bearing in mind my starter motor has just been replaced a fortnight ago and I had a fuel leak 3 weeks before that!! This must be the last thing surely?!! Other than the fact that I love my wee car, it's in reasonable condition [I believe!] Any advice much appreciated :D

I usually work out what it would cost per month to pay off a loan on a better car.

Lets say £200 a month.

If the current car repairs cost £400 you will have paid 2 monthly premiums, but after that its free motoring. :) If its less you're winning even sooner :D
All the other costs fuel servicing insurance etc are the same either way.

My clutch cost me £120 in labour plus the parts which I got from Shop4 parts for that they were much the same as eBay.

If the gearbox is damaged its probably best to get a good used box from a breakers. You may need to post another question when you know which box it needs. Labour costs for fitting a new box and clutch should be exactly the same.

To Mufflaz the biting point being so low down with the pedal feeling heavy/knotchy is a sign the clutch is failing. But if its nice light and smooth from top to bottom it may just need some air bleeding out so well worth a try.

Last edited:
Mufflaz, if your clutch is feeling hard and notchy then bleeding it won't help. The bearing is chewing it's way rapidly through the clutch cover (usual way punto clutches go). Change ASAP.
Allyballi, the clutch going shoul'nt harm your gearbox, but you may need a new clutch fork. You should'nt pay more than £250 to have the clutch done plus £40 or so if it needs a fork.

FC do you know if the clutch fork can be replaced without removing the gearbox? I'm suspicious that mine should have been changed with the clutch.

Back