Technical Clutch/gearbox issue - oil leaking

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch/gearbox issue - oil leaking

Drozich

Hi,

I had my clutch replaced a couple of months ago and I am starting to have issues.

When the car is cold, the clutch operates fine but once warm it struggles to bite properly, especially on hill starts. I have also noticed gear oil leaking from between the bell housing and block. The box is noisy at idle and in 1st-3rd gears which points to the input shaft bearing (based on posts I have read on here). I mentioned this at the time of having the clutch done but the garage didn't want to split the box and blamed the noise on the release bearing (said they'd never seen a 500 box fail before). I took them at their word and had the clutch done but now I am in this situation. I am guessing that the oil leak is the input shaft seal and the lack of bite when hot is oil on the friction plate?

I just wondered if anyone could offer advice on this/confirm my fears?

Is there a guide to removal and replacement of the gearbox/clutch as I don't fancy paying someone to do the work again. I can get a reconditioned box locally so wanted to do the work myself, providing it's not a horror story to do the job?

Car is a 2010 1.2 Pop with 72k miles.

Thanks in advance as always!

Stevie

Hi,

I had my clutch replaced a couple of months ago and I am starting to have issues.

When the car is cold, the clutch operates fine but once warm it struggles to bite properly, especially on hill starts. I have also noticed gear oil leaking from between the bell housing and block. The box is noisy at idle and in 1st-3rd gears which points to the input shaft bearing (based on posts I have read on here). I mentioned this at the time of having the clutch done but the garage didn't want to split the box and blamed the noise on the release bearing (said they'd never seen a 500 box fail before). I took them at their word and had the clutch done but now I am in this situation. I am guessing that the oil leak is the input shaft seal and the lack of bite when hot is oil on the friction plate?

I just wondered if anyone could offer advice on this/confirm my fears?

Is there a guide to removal and replacement of the gearbox/clutch as I don't fancy paying someone to do the work again. I can get a reconditioned box locally so wanted to do the work myself, providing it's not a horror story to do the job?

Car is a 2010 1.2 Pop with 72k miles.

Thanks in advance as always!

Stevie
Hello & welcome!
Oh my oh my!! You should never take a mechanic,s word for it 😂 NEVER!

But that’s what I’ve taken from my own experience with various garages!!!! This is why I do all my work myself!
So your clutch is a 3 piece clutch … what exactly did they use? As the clutch pack includes a release bearing!!!

As for an oil leak … it could be coming from various places & is probably a failed seal

I have learned personal…. If your taking a gearbox out of a 10 year old car to change the clutch …. Don’t skimp
Refurb or replace with a refurbished box and use fresh oil!
It’s a very involved job just to get the box out but there are a few videos on YouTube!
I’ll be tackling mine at some point!

Just re read your post sorry: yes it is very likely your input shaft bearing… that’s what failed on my car in 2020 …. The garage fixed it (when I’d been told it would be a full refurb job) about 3 months later I had 2 gearbox oil leaks in quick succession…. The garage lied 🤥 SHOCKER!

I’m not sure there is a guide for the gearbox on the forum but someone else may correct me

If it was the crank seal then it may be coincidental, and oil has not contaminated the clutch.
Gearbox off is the only way to know for sure.

Was it quiet after getting it back?, if it was then it probably was the release bearing, to do make a bit of noise when worn.
It if wasn't then it should have been raised with them then.

The 500 seems to have more of a habit of the input shaft leaking rather than the crank seal.. but I wouldn't rule out the latter.

On my Stilo, the oil leak that developed over years turned out to be from the joint between the crank seal and the sump (the sump bolts to a flange on the bottom of the seal frame)...

Since they fiddled with the box, it's most likely the input shaft though.. so I'd have a couple of spares ready when you remove yours. If you knacker one when fitting it, the second one will save you some time waiting for the new one to arrive.

Ralf S.

Back