Technical Clutch failing - changing the fluid?!

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch failing - changing the fluid?!

Thanks BL. The fluid in mine was rank-looking.

It's the valve at the bottom of the pic that's split. And it's that whole assembly he's replacing.

Is that what you replaced? And is that the slave cylinder at the back?
View attachment 405690
Yeah that’s the slave! Yes that value is a problem issue apparently.. that looks like the original too!

Thanks BL. The fluid in mine was rank-looking.

It's the valve at the bottom of the pic that's split. And it's that whole assembly he's replacing.

Is that what you replaced? And is that the slave cylinder at the back?
View attachment 405690
Yes I replaced that whole thing! I tried & TRIED to separate the valve but in typical fiat style… no luck! So I ripped the entire thing out and installed mine! (And covered myself in fluid) thankfully NOT the car 🚗🙈👍

You can replace just the slave, old pipe, at the slave by removing the clip and pulling the pipe out, note I replaced all of ours as I couldn't/didn't try getting the connector apart, however it was clear the master was weeping behind the dash/firewall that was hidden from view?

It's handy if the slave can be replaced without separating the connector. I'll probably replace the slave at the same time as the clutch, so that it doesn't pack up one December/January etc., when I'd have to fix it in the snow... 🥶

I can give the connector "a try" once the slave is off (the circuit will need re-bleeding anyway) to see whether it wants to separate... If it comes apart I'll leave it.. if it looks like it's not going to budge without the use of an angle grinder etc. then I'll change it and the master cylinder at the same time, so I don't have any hassle later.

Ralf S.

No progress today; parts haven't showed up. Sigh.

Seems like Fiat dealers want over £200 for the assembly. Seems steep for a slave, a valve and some plastic pipe!

The fella at the workshop is seeing if can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah not to mention a few other bits n bobs but hopefully..you will be a little luckier than myself 🙈😂

Well the clutch is done and it's been serviced at the same time.

It's been getting a little clonky at the front but the garage say there's not much visible wear when they put it on their shaker plates and so I'll just leave it for now. I always complain about this for all of my cars - so many speedbumps round here - and they are always telling to wait and save money. One of the reasons I really like this crowd. They actively try to make me spend less half the time.

BUT the rear subframe is showing signs of corrosion and they offered to seal it - I said "Yes of course!" On one hand that's a bit disappointing on a car that's not even 7 years old but on the other hand the same thing has been turning into quite an issue for various Mercedes at the 10 year mark - so it's not just Fiat cutting corners.

Anyway, as you know, this car's a keeper so treated subframe it is.

Picking it up 1st thing tomorrow.

Well the clutch is done and it's been serviced at the same time.

It's been getting a little clonky at the front but the garage say there's not much visible wear when they put it on their shaker plates and so I'll just leave it for now. I always complain about this for all of my cars - so many speedbumps round here - and they are always telling to wait and save money. One of the reasons I really like this crowd. They actively try to make me spend less half the time.

BUT the rear subframe is showing signs of corrosion and they offered to seal it - I said "Yes of course!" On one hand that's a bit disappointing on a car that's not even 7 years old but on the other hand the same thing has been turning into quite an issue for various Mercedes at the 10 year mark - so it's not just Fiat cutting corners.

Anyway, as you know, this car's a keeper so treated subframe it is.

Picking it up 1st thing tomorrow.
Yes the rear beam!….🤔 it’s good that you have had it sealed but that will prob only see you through winter & into spring … saying that it’s probably just my sometimes unobtainable high standards 😂
I strip my beam every spring concentrating on the spring pans & she gets waxoyl twice a year
As it happens my mums best friend has an 07 panda and his pan has just broken off exposing a spring! Yikes 😳

So it’s a preventative job well worth doing! As for a clonk at the front : that would bother myself and in usual style I’d be trying to resolve it!

Most cases : top mounts or drop links .. I’ve done both on my car so it’s not an impossible task just keep an eye on it!
Our speed bumps are terrible here too but I have to say so are the roads!!! I kind of understand now why a lot of people drive range rovers … I bet that’s a better experience than driving my 500 over rough ground!

All I wonder is what damage/wear is this doing to my car!
My car is definitely a keeper! I’d never recoup the money I’ve spent and I can’t afford to get anything else so it’s on we go! 🚗💨💨💨

Yes the rear beam!….🤔 it’s good that you have had it sealed but that will prob only see you through winter & into spring … saying that it’s probably just my sometimes unobtainable high standards 😂
I strip my beam every spring concentrating on the spring pans & she gets waxoyl twice a year
As it happens my mums best friend has an 07 panda and his pan has just broken off exposing a spring! Yikes 😳

So it’s a preventative job well worth doing! As for a clonk at the front : that would bother myself and in usual style I’d be trying to resolve it!

Most cases : top mounts or drop links .. I’ve done both on my car so it’s not an impossible task just keep an eye on it!
Our speed bumps are terrible here too but I have to say so are the roads!!! I kind of understand now why a lot of people drive range rovers … I bet that’s a better experience than driving my 500 over rough ground!

All I wonder is what damage/wear is this doing to my car!
My car is definitely a keeper! I’d never recoup the money I’ve spent and I can’t afford to get anything else so it’s on we go! 🚗💨💨💨

I suspect it's drop links. But they won't do them!! LOL.

Wow, you're looking after that beam properly, setting the bar very high.

I'm not a fan of SUV's but I must admit an old Merc (or Jag) on old school tyres with deep sidewalls is a great way to cross London without feeling a thing...

Oh well, the 500's all good now and I must admit I'd missed it. My wife's been noticing how much I drive it these days as is not impressed.

I suspect it's drop links. But they won't do them!! LOL.

Wow, you're looking after that beam properly, setting the bar very high.

I'm not a fan of SUV's but I must admit an old Merc (or Jag) on old school tyres with deep sidewalls is a great way to cross London without feeling a thing...

Oh well, the 500's all good now and I must admit I'd missed it. My wife's been noticing how much I drive it these days as is not impressed.
What can I say! my grandad always told me: when you buy something buy the best you can afford & always look after it!
I was under my car today actually.. cleaning and inspecting my brake lines 😂 as you do! MOT in August… I’m like it all summer till it’s passed!

So funny your garage won’t do drop links … takes an hour if you go at my pace & costs practically nothing! 500s are fun to drive! My 1.2 thinks she’s a 1.4 turbo 😂💨💨😳 she can move 💨💨💨💨

What can I say! my grandad always told me: when you buy something buy the best you can afford & always look after it!
Wise words. I try to do that.

I pick the maximum budget for whatever car I'm getting and then camp out for weeks or months looking and looking and looking and then grabbing the newest/best specc'ed version possible. I'll then keep it for ages. My wife's Clio lasted into its 20th year and still looked fresh. My Merc's now 12 but only on 79k and in great shape.

Depreciation's usually the biggest cost of all - keeping cars a long time minimises that.

Just think how much more fun it would be if you had a proper car!!
I take it by proper you mean faster!? Before I got into 500s I drove my partner’s Audi … I’d leave little boy racers in my dust 💨 yes it was fun & I loved seeing their little faces red with frustration!

BUT it also highlighted over issues : I have to check myself! I am very comfortable with high speeds and it would have been a matter of time … before something went wrong
Being an Aries ♈️ I’m a fire sign (enough said)

I’m ok being in a 1.2 and I’m ok being limited with speed .. plus it’s a lot LOT cheaper

I take it by proper you mean faster!? Before I got into 500s I drove my partner’s Audi … I’d leave little boy racers in my dust 💨 yes it was fun & I loved seeing their little faces red with frustration!

BUT it also highlighted over issues : I have to check myself! I am very comfortable with high speeds and it would have been a matter of time … before something went wrong
Being an Aries ♈️ I’m a fire sign (enough said)

I’m ok being in a 1.2 and I’m ok being limited with speed .. plus it’s a lot LOT cheaper

I never crave more power.

The whole point of the 1.2 to me, anyway, is that it's very cheap to run and maintain (ignoring the clutch hydraulics...cough) and I can get my learner driver son on the insurance.

And it's plenty fast enough for London traffic.

Any fun car I've had costs less than a fiat 500 and just as cheap to run.

Back