Cleaver or rubbish???

Currently reading:
Cleaver or rubbish???

C

Cynic-al

on the radio the other day they were claiming the following solution to locking your keys in your car, does it work or is it a wind up, would try it but it's raining and stuff...

if you lock the keys in your car use your mobile to call someone at home, also on a mobile, and get them to press the unlock button, they were claiming it opened the door via the magic of mobile technology.

What do you think?

Well the fobs do work off a similar technology but i can't see that happening.

Joske

Hmm interesting.

If only I had my alarm fitted, been waiting for the bloke for near on 2 months to do it.

Well the fob will transmit an RF frequency, but surely the mobile will be sending/recieving at an encoded digital frequency? Either way wouldn't this distort the signal if it even picks it up? What band do mobiles work on? C-band?

Sure Tom will prove me wrong!

GSM is 900 or 1800MHz.

Keyfobs are on the ISM band, 433MHz.

I cannot see a way that the mobile could a) detect 433 b) transmit the data to the other mobile and c) transmit it again at 433.

But what if the remote keyfob is infrared?

i haven't seen an IR keyfob in ages!

i really do doubt it'll work but the person seemed really serious, getting more tempted to try it now...

I thought the froggies still used IR. Remember all the fuss about people being able to grab your keyfob radio signal and unlocking your car? Everything went IR for quite a while after that particular scare story.

Wouldn't that be at an even lower speed? Do the fobs pulse?

Reckon it's a farse there probably in league with O2 to make some money on voice calls lol.

I think a signal would get through it will just unlikely same as it goes in

You still need to transmit on the right carrier for the car to detect it.

the results;

the experiment;
one nokia mobile on orange on the dash in that useless pocket, another on O2 in my hand, called orange phone from O2 phone and answered it, shut car door, walked around the back of the house, pressed the button and chuff me it WORKED, i could hear it clicking!

In disbelief i walked back the the car and yes, it was locked!

Wow thought i, so off i wandered down the street, tried it again, but no, i was just in range the first time.

It's all rubbish!

Not a very technical answer:

********!

Of course it won't work FFS.
Mobile phones encrypt SOUNDS not radio waves.
The phone will not detect the radio waves, therefore will not transmit them.

Mark.
Council estate lad.
And proud of it!

Member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists.
travelsmall.gif

:ROFLMAO: @ cynic was about to say walk further away then read the rest of your post

Still sinusoidal