General Cleaning out my engine

Currently reading:
General Cleaning out my engine

wilharper2000

After a head gasket failure, the oil in my car is quite a light brown colour and is not nearly as runny as it should be. Someone described it as "biscuity".
Should I use flushing oil to remove all traces of the oil, then remove that and put in some new oil.
Also should the new oil be synthetic or semi synthetic?

Thanks

Will

Will stick to this one.....yes get it flushed out then would use a low quality oil for a week followed by another oil change using proper spec oil. Castrol Magnatec I pretty much use for all my cars & what BMW put in most older cars when servicing.

Alan.D said:
Castrol Magnatec I pretty much use for all my cars & what BMW put in most older cars when servicing.
I think i'd better get hold of some of that too...

So here's a useful question...

how much do you need to fill the engine after a full rebuild? (it's proably in the haynes but just incase someone don't got one)...

and how much for a engine drain to refill to correct levels???

Alan.D said:
Oil & filter change is 3.75lt. Never change the oil without doing the filter.
I'm guesssing that those are halfords-able...

also all the bikes I own, they have a sump plug washer made of a softish alloy, this gets replaced every time you undo the sump plug. anything like this on a panda?

trust me to post in the worng thread :eek:.

Yes, use an engine flush, and then use some cheap oil for upto 1000 miles, then change the oil again and then put in some semi synthetic. Remember to use new oil filters for both oil changes, and to use a little of the old oil on the rubber seal of the oil filter :)

edit - like Jim says, dont wait upto 1000 miles before changing the oil again, give it the most of a week, and get some 54p tesco value oil, to flush through.

Last edited:
christopher watson said:
Yes, use an engine flush, and then use some cheap oil for upto 1000 miles, then change the oil again....

I probably wouldn't even give it that long... I'd only go for a few day for it to suck up all the rubbish (and any residual moisture too) and then change it for better stuff.

Also if you pour a drop of cheep stuff thou the engine while it's draining it will take some crud with it (ok, expensive option but I've done it with Sylvia that had Asbo's engine in it and it did make the engine run much cleaner as the oil was like Tar when I got it)

Jim

atfer chatting with Peter from GSR, i'd be using Selenia not Castrol oil. I used to use magnatec in my old engine - but since it's been rebuilt the new engine has only seen Selenia 20k (y)

ok, where do you get hold of this almost mythical "Selenia" stuff?

It's the oil FIAT had in mind when the engine was made, and it's what he runs in race spec'd FIRE engines.. so on that reasoning, it's what my car gets.

Might have opened a can of worms though, loads of people seem to like different oils for different reasons.

edit: I got mine from FIAT - only because i needed the oil there and then, shop4parts sell it, as well as a few other internet places.

Back