Clarkson - he's at it again

Currently reading:
Clarkson - he's at it again

Like ive said on here many a time Clarkson is an overrated second rate very big PILLOCK dont think I can make it any clearer that that :D unless he is reviewing and driving ultra expensive cars he has very little worthy coming out of his big fat mouth thats worth listening to As Ive said before it would be more benifital if these programs dealt with cars that the ordinary man/woman buy and not the super cars we cant.:)

but you'vbe all got to admit the page and a half of crap was funny as hell?

Clarkson may not be the worlds greates car critic, but he is a damn good comedian lol!!!

Jon+Em

to be honest I dont think he gives it a terrible review. he says its good looking and the interior is spacious and funky etc. but i have to agree with the engines. fiat have chosen the worst possible choice of engines to put in the grande.

why on earth did they use the bloody punto 60 engine in a car much bigger and heavier than the normal punto, its even slow in the original punto :rolleyes:

they should have gone for the bravo range of engines and used the 1.2 16v as a starting point rather than all of the diesels. most people dont like diesels and associate them with being noisy and slow, no matter what you tell them.
Fiat really should have put in a decent petrol in the lower spec cars. i can imagine the 1.2s being rediculously slow and crap.

diesels sell more in europe, uk is just one market, i think they know what they are doing as far as diesel goes.... i agree to what hes saying about that petrol though

It's not such a bad review and over 13sec for a 1.4 supermini car is a bit slow. The other things he mentions are all pretty minor, like the cup holder.

My Alfa doesn't have a boot opener on the outside and that cost £24K.

Excellent review - everything he said is true i'm afraid - the 1.4 petrol is a gutless wonder, the seat belt warning is the most annoying thing i've ever heard due to the 5* NCAP testers liking that sort of thing. I'm used to the no tailgate lock on the 147 so i'm used to it, but it didn't half annoy me when I first got it. The brakes feel like they're out of a Peugeot 307, all or nothing, but it is something you get used to.

It's a very subjective thing but I find the way Clarkson writes is brilliant, I was off work ill on Friday and spent an couple of hours catching up on his Sunday Times reviews on that very site.

Look at some of the other reviews, you're obviously gonna defend the FIAT name at all costs, but I think you'll find on the whole most of his reviews are very fair.

Just my $0.02 worth...

courtster said:
Excellent review - everything he said is true i'm afraid - the 1.4 petrol is a gutless wonder, the seat belt warning is the most annoying thing i've ever heard due to the 5* NCAP testers liking that sort of thing. I'm used to the no tailgate lock on the 147 so i'm used to it, but it didn't half annoy me when I first got it. The brakes feel like they're out of a Peugeot 307, all or nothing, but it is something you get used to.

It's a very subjective thing but I find the way Clarkson writes is brilliant, I was off work ill on Friday and spent an couple of hours catching up on his Sunday Times reviews on that very site.

Look at some of the other reviews, you're obviously gonna defend the FIAT name at all costs, but I think you'll find on the whole most of his reviews are very fair.

Just my $0.02 worth...

To which you are entitled to (y) myself it one of those instant dislike things from the very first time I saw him in TV :)POMPOUS PRICK

Last edited:
If he thinks 13 seconds to 60mph is slow, he should try my old cinq (18 seconds lol) or my punto 60, which does it in, try looking at the speedo again next week...

I think to be honest that diesel's are taking off to a whole new level - I was watching some of the Sebring 12 hours and the Audi's are competing in this with their TDi cars - and getting the same lap-times as the petrol models in their category (the top one) These cars are of course utilising the massive torque that diesels offer - the car in the Sebring event had 840lb/ft of torque (that's enough to make a 1" thick piece of steel bar into a pretzel)

That review is probably the most honest review I have read, I know we all have some kind of brand loyalty to Fiat, but JC picks up on all the good and bad points.

Personally i think its a fair review, if this was a review in auto express the car (as with any fiat they test drive) wouldnt have been good to look at/drive/sit in/own, and would have been cramped ;). Its also true about the Croma, and what he says here - "Fiat makes excellent small cars — it should stick to what it does best".

And thats a good point cos as I said he is only interested in the mega motors just look what he is driving Ford GT40 now be honest is that a sensible car to be driving on our roads and no doubt if that got damaged on a pot hole etc the council would bend over backwards to help him out (n)

They also make excelent large cars - but they're overlooked so Fiat don't bother too much.

I'd like to see a test between supermini's of equal cost - then you would see the 1.4 clio up against a diesel grande punto. Would make interesting journalisim.

Back