Sorry to hear about the accident.

How long does this policy run?
Maybe buy a cheap temporary car for 3/6 months

Then buy something you actually want in a few months

Buying the 'wrong car' in a rush proves expensive

Last time I bought a GP .. it was local on Ebay

Viewed it..drove it then worked out what it needed.. so its actual value

Auction ended £200 less than that :)

A grande or evo- 2012 might be good as you could transfer your good tyres and alloys.. saving you £400

Well, I looked at a 2013 Hyundai i20 that at a local Ford main dealer, but it was very tatty, yet they still wanted £6k for it! 😐 Needless to say, I walked away from that 1 straight away. My parents had spotted a 2010 Punto Evo at a general used car dealer about half an hour away, this 1 I did actually take out for a spin; but as it was rather tatty for the money being asked, again I walked away. It was an absolute joy to drive though.
If the punto was a tatty black 3 door with aftermarket alloys then yes I can see why you would walk away.

You have two options right now. You can get another old punto or similar for £2k which is already 10 - 14 years old, this might be alright but might not have been well looked after, may have the beginings of rust and may only last another 2-5 years before needing replacement again. This would fit the suggestion of a short term car to see you till you can get something better.

Or you could look and see what deals there are about to get something you actually want. You earn money, you own property, if you don't have the cash right now for something more expensive, why not look at a loan to get something better, which will last you.
As an example there is a Fiat Dealer in Colchester at the moment with a 2020, fiat Tipo with ~18,000 miles on the clock, advertised for about £10-11k Low spec but low miles and very new, or s slightly older but very nicely specced Fiat 500X with the same dealer group, heated seats, parking sensors, 2016 with 50ishk miles for under £10k. Depending on the duration and how much deposit you put down, a £10k car could cost under £200 a month, for a few years, after that it's yours; and say for example you took a 2020 Tipo and you looked after it well, that could easily last you till 2035 given your Punto is 15 years old now, were as a 2010 Punto Evo might only have another 5 years left in it or less if its not been looked after and many of these have not been well looked after. You'd be looking at buying another one in 5 years time, which could by that point be another car.

When it comes to borrowing, there are a lot of things to consider and you should seek advice but, in your position I would not hesitate to go and get a car on a PCP deal for 3 or 4 years, put down what ever I have as a deposit at the moment and then save up to either pay it off early or on a PCP pay the balloon payment off at the end.
Just make sure you get Gap insurance if you go the finance route.

Cazoo has a 2017 Punto right now that you can collect from Ipswich for £130 a month PCP. or a black one for £150hp. if it has to be a punto. The newer one has the touch screen radio which i'm sure you'd not want in a punto.

Last edited:
If the punto was a tatty black 3 door with aftermarket alloys then yes I can see why you would walk away.

You have two options right now. You can get another old punto or similar for £2k which is already 10 - 14 years old, this might be alright but might not have been well looked after, may have the beginings of rust and may only last another 2-5 years before needing replacement again. This would fit the suggestion of a short term car to see you till you can get something better.

Or you could look and see what deals there are about to get something you actually want. You earn money, you own property, if you don't have the cash right now for something more expensive, why not look at a loan to get something better, which will last you.
As an example there is a Fiat Dealer in Colchester at the moment with a 2020, fiat Tipo with ~18,000 miles on the clock, advertised for about £10-11k Low spec but low miles and very new, or s slightly older but very nicely specced Fiat 500X with the same dealer group, heated seats, parking sensors, 2016 with 50ishk miles for under £10k. Depending on the duration and how much deposit you put down, a £10k car could cost under £200 a month, for a few years, after that it's yours; and say for example you took a 2020 Tipo and you looked after it well, that could easily last you till 2035 given your Punto is 15 years old now, were as a 2010 Punto Evo might only have another 5 years left in it or less if its not been looked after and many of these have not been well looked after. You'd be looking at buying another one in 5 years time, which could by that point be another car.

When it comes to borrowing, there are a lot of things to consider and you should seek advice but, in your position I would not hesitate to go and get a car on a PCP deal for 3 or 4 years, put down what ever I have as a deposit at the moment and then save up to either pay it off early or on a PCP pay the balloon payment off at the end.
Just make sure you get Gap insurance if you go the finance route.
No, it was a blue 5 door. On the pictures, it looked the absolute dogs dangly bits, but when we got there, it was very battered on the outside.

Nah, I'm not borrowing money to buy a car. Ideally, I want a Punto-sized car. Hopefully, something will crop up between now and whenever the courtesy car (when it finally arrives,) has to go back.

No, it was a blue 5 door. On the pictures, it looked the absolute dogs dangly bits, but when we got there, it was very battered on the outside.

Nah, I'm not borrowing money to buy a car. Ideally, I want a Punto-sized car. Hopefully, something will crop up between now and whenever the courtesy car (when it finally arrives,) has to go back.

Obviously we don't know your personal circumstances, remember you saying you'd bought a property I do rather hope you fixed the mortgage at the time.

While finance may seem a bit crap think of it as a way to get the 8 year old car you want.

The way I see it...cars are expensive you either pay up front, or you get a cheap one and deal with the reasons it was cheap.

Due to current circumstances small petrol cars have gone stratospheric, if you'd said 5 year old C3 still being a 10 grand car at a dealer when we bought it new people would have rightly laughed in your face. Now due to ULEZ, economic crunch, diesel going right up a petrol car that can hit 50mpg, has cheap bills and isn't horrible is much more desirable than it was.

5k is now getting on for rough car territory, the stuff you'd have seen at 2-3k a few years ago.

So the point I suppose is, get something actually cheap and live with it until you've got the cash put aside for what you want or finance a car you want that is quite new so unlikely to need anything for some time...and keep it once it's paid off. The middle way will probably end up with you spending money on fixing something that was already top of the budget unless you've got time to look around.

The courtesy car will have to go back the day they pay out, once they have paid out that’s the claim dealt with.

Even if you still have the car you may not be allowed to use it from midnight of that day.

Back