Claiming on insurance?

Currently reading:
Claiming on insurance?

Yesterday morning, (17/01/23,) I had an accident on my way to work, and sadly I have no doubt that my beloved Grande Punto will be written off. I'm hoping to look at a car or 2 over the weekend, and should I buy either of them, would it be possible to get insurance, or would I have to wait until the claim is settled?

Yesterday morning, (17/01/23,) I had an accident on my way to work, and sadly I have no doubt that my beloved Grande Punto will be written off. I'm hoping to look at a car or 2 over the weekend, and should I buy either of them, would it be possible to get insurance, or would I have to wait until the claim is settled?
A few thoughts, if no one else was involved and you haven't contacted the insurance company/reported it etc. depending on the value of the vehicle it may be cheaper in the long term not to make a claim.
Once you even enquire / contact the insurance company for advise it can effect your premium next time.
Obviously if that is not the case and there is a third party claim then you just have to allow it to run.
If you are making a claim and the car is parked at home off the road they will send an accessor to check the damage/cost of repair, but also the general pre accident condition to see if they can find a reason to reduce the payout.
Whatever you value the car pre accident , I would be very surprised if the payout came any way near to the trade value of the same model and if you couple that with the price of your renewal premium, you will see what I mean.
I say all this from experience of these things with some of my old customers in the past.
If it is going through the insurance then as long as car is safely off the road, it would be reasonable for the insurance company to expect you to need to get another vehicle in most circumstances.
If no insurance company inmvolvement, then just notify them of your new vehicle and SORN the old one with DVLA until you decide what to do with it.
Other may advise you differently.;)

Looking at the picture, if it still drives OK and no loss of coolant etc. a second hand front bumper and a headlight, along with a little bodywork would probably get it back on the road. Most of it is just bolt on.
Where as an insurance company given the fact it is a 15 year old car will say, the cost of repair as you said, will write it off

I have told the insurance company, and an assessor is taking it away next week. I think the picture is flattering, if that makes sense? Whilst it moves under its own power, it doesn't sound happy, I think there's some damage to the steering and/or running gear, and the passenger side sill is damaged.

As a claim is in progress, would I be able to change the car on my policy, or would that void the claim?

I have told the insurance company, and an assessor is taking it away next week. I think the picture is flattering, if that makes sense? Whilst it moves under its own power, it doesn't sound happy, I think there's some damage to the steering and/or running gear, and the passenger side sill is damaged.

As a claim is in progress, would I be able to change the car on my policy, or would that void the claim?
Oh! I see.
Often the case, when you delve deeper unfortunately.
Once they have towed it away you don't have a lot of say regarding how much the pay off is. It could be as low as a few hundred pounds, scrap value.
Once you agree to their valuation or settlement figure or they tow it away you have little or no say at all.
If there is any personal items I should collect them now.
I assume there is nothing about the condition of the car pre accident that they can use against you, slight tyre wear, suspension/steering, brakes, anything they can use to reduce even further what they give to you?
If they are collecting the car without even having an assessor inspect the car it sounds like a foregone conclusion, though they may inspect at recovery agents yard.
Ideally you need to speak to a human at the insurance company, failing that if it is all on line you will have to state all the details when asking for a quote on a change of vehicle, be 100% accurate about the pending accident claim and keep a copy and the quote reference number.
If not , they are quite capable of taking the money for any additional insurance cover and then invalidating it without refund if a future claim is made. So keep copies of every detail and correspondence.
I am sorry to be all doom and gloom, but it can be nearly as stressful as buying/moving a house.:(

Oh! I see.
Often the case, when you delve deeper unfortunately.
Once they have towed it away you don't have a lot of say regarding how much the pay off is. It could be as low as a few hundred pounds, scrap value.
Once you agree to their valuation or settlement figure or they tow it away you have little or no say at all.
If there is any personal items I should collect them now.
I assume there is nothing about the condition of the car pre accident that they can use against you, slight tyre wear, suspension/steering, brakes, anything they can use to reduce even further what they give to you?
If they are collecting the car without even having an assessor inspect the car it sounds like a foregone conclusion, though they may inspect at recovery agents yard.
Ideally you need to speak to a human at the insurance company, failing that if it is all on line you will have to state all the details when asking for a quote on a change of vehicle, be 100% accurate about the pending accident claim and keep a copy and the quote reference number.
If not , they are quite capable of taking the money for any additional insurance cover and then invalidating it without refund if a future claim is made. So keep copies of every detail and correspondence.
I am sorry to be all doom and gloom, but it can be nearly as stressful as buying/moving a house.:(
I have emptied all my stuff out of it, and will put all the service history on the passenger seat, so they can see it was well looked after.

I messaged Churchill on WhatsApp, and a chap replied to me saying that if I do buy a new car before the claim is settled, I can just change the car on my policy, and it won't affect my claim. I've taken a screenshot of the message.

I have emptied all my stuff out of it, and will put all the service history on the passenger seat, so they can see it was well looked after.

I messaged Churchill on WhatsApp, and a chap replied to me saying that if I do buy a new car before the claim is settled, I can just change the car on my policy, and it won't affect my claim. I've taken a screenshot of the message.
Sounds good , hopefully it will all work out fine, it is just a case of protecting yourself in case.:)

Keep copies!!!! These things mysteriously disappear, and take photos if the car was in good condition . You will have to argue for the best settlement figure. DOnt accept a vastly under valued settlement. If it was not your fault you are on better ground. If the insurance writes the car off it will then then terminate the policy and there is nothing to transfer on sadly. Dont accept the first offer the insurance makes, do your research and tell them what you want based on evidence of the value of cars in similar condition. Be sensible what figure you ask for and have a wad of copy adverts to back up your valuation. You will likely be waiting for many weeks until you get any money. Argue you expect to be able to buy a like for like car for the settlement figure.

Keep copies!!!! These things mysteriously disappear, and take photos if the car was in good condition . You will have to argue for the best settlement figure. DOnt accept a vastly under valued settlement. If it was not your fault you are on better ground. If the insurance writes the car off it will then then terminate the policy and there is nothing to transfer on sadly. Dont accept the first offer the insurance makes, do your research and tell them what you want based on evidence of the value of cars in similar condition. Be sensible what figure you ask for and have a wad of copy adverts to back up your valuation. You will likely be waiting for many weeks until you get any money. Argue you expect to be able to buy a like for like car for the settlement figure.
I've taken screenshots of the Grande Punto Eleganzas on autotrader, so I can given them examples of what they're being sold for.

I've taken screenshots of the Grande Punto Eleganzas on autotrader, so I can given them examples of what they're being sold for.
It is a good idea as Panda Nut suggested , but eBay adverts are only "asking prices" not what they actually sell for, which is why insurance companies will probably look at garage trade prices and then knock off a bit more, also official price guides often only go 10 years back, so inspite of what you place as vehicle value when getting a quote, they will be unlikely to come anyway near to it sadly.
Personally I would hang on to the car until you are satisfied with their pay out offer.
In the past if you were given a low offer you could ask for a settlement figure and keep your vehicle to repair or sell the parts etc. but nowadays the general direction seems to be taking older cars out of commission altogether, even where it is something like a dent in a door on a old car, nothing structural.

If you still have the Punto and the claim has not been settled then you will either need to take out a new policy on the new car.

There are a couple of things to consider here.

The value of the car is not going to match those on Autotrader, these are largely dealer sold cars and come with a warranty, and the dealer premium. They will value your car off Glasses Guide and unless you have some way to show it was in exceptional immaculate condition then you'll be looking at getting something around the Glasses price. I seem to recall your car is relatively low miles which would count in its favor, but servicing will not, it would only count against you if you didn't have a full service history.

Then you have to consider your insurance excess, this will be deducted from any final settlement. (this is why I always pick the lowest excess) depending on what your excess is, many people don't pay much attention to this and its very easy to find you need to pay out £500 if you had not amended the excess down when you took out the insurance.

Do you pay for your insurance monthly? if you do they may take what ever remains owing on the policy to pay it off and settle the account. Or if you do buy another car and move the insurance to a new car there may be a difference to pay, and insurance companies love to add policy admin fees to everything these days so its not unusual to have to pay £30 for a change of car midway through the policy.

Did you have no claims discount protection, if not then you face your next car being significantly more expensive to insure, if you did great, but you will need to declare the accident on your next policy and it still has an impact on the price.

I would talk to your insurance company and find out what their advice is on getting another car in the mean time and if it will have any impact on your claim.

I would not hesitate to say your car is a right off, I'll attach a picture of my Punto Evo and what was deemed a right off for comparison.

Attachments

• KETT0045.JPG
    KETT0045.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
If you still have the Punto and the claim has not been settled then you will either need to take out a new policy on the new car.

There are a couple of things to consider here.

The value of the car is not going to match those on Autotrader, these are largely dealer sold cars and come with a warranty, and the dealer premium. They will value your car off Glasses Guide and unless you have some way to show it was in exceptional immaculate condition then you'll be looking at getting something around the Glasses price. I seem to recall your car is relatively low miles which would count in its favor, but servicing will not, it would only count against you if you didn't have a full service history.

Then you have to consider your insurance excess, this will be deducted from any final settlement. (this is why I always pick the lowest excess) depending on what your excess is, many people don't pay much attention to this and its very easy to find you need to pay out £500 if you had not amended the excess down when you took out the insurance.

Do you pay for your insurance monthly? if you do they may take what ever remains owing on the policy to pay it off and settle the account. Or if you do buy another car and move the insurance to a new car there may be a difference to pay, and insurance companies love to add policy admin fees to everything these days so its not unusual to have to pay £30 for a change of car midway through the policy.

Did you have no claims discount protection, if not then you face your next car being significantly more expensive to insure, if you did great, but you will need to declare the accident on your next policy and it still has an impact on the price.

I would talk to your insurance company and find out what their advice is on getting another car in the mean time and if it will have any impact on your claim.

I would not hesitate to say your car is a right off, I'll attach a picture of my Punto Evo and what was deemed a right off for comparison.
I have messaged Churchill, and they have said I can transfer my policy to a replacement car.

I pay my insurance annually, and have indeed protected my no claims bonus. I set the excess as low as I can get it, so they'll take £100 off whatever settlement they offer me.

Got to ask: where was the damage on your Evo? I literally can't see anything, lol!

I have messaged Churchill, and they have said I can transfer my policy to a replacement car.
(y)
I pay my insurance annually, and have indeed protected my no claims bonus. I set the excess as low as I can get it, so they'll take £100 off whatever settlement they offer me.
(y)
Got to ask: where was the damage on your Evo? I literally can't see anything, lol!
Exactly. The bumper is out of shape popped out where it meets the wings, some paint is cracked and if I tell you the indicator lens in the bumper is completely missing (smashed) and the fog light is smashed you'll then see those things.

If you open the bonnet the mounting points for the bumper where broken, same under the car and the wheel arch liner on that side had broken and was pressing on the wheel, all fairly minor things to be honest. Could have repaired it myself for probably the cost of a new front bumper off eBay and maybe could have gotten one in the right colour with all the accessories still attached.

To get it back to a state that an insurance accredited body shop would be happy with you were looking at £1400, only based on what could be seen in the pictures, as they didn't assess it in person I took loads of high quality photos and sent them to the assessor. It worked out well for me as I wanted rid of the car and after a chat with the insurance company they were happy to write it off and pay me out. Saves them the hassle of any unexpected costs once the work began.

Looking at valuation websites, they show it as being anything between £1200 - 1700 basing the valuation on insurance purposes not buying or selling.
They will very rarely pay the top end. They may settle somewhere in the middle of that, they may look at things like the remaining MOT which I see is only about 2 months and the last MOT showed quite a few fails so they may argue it is at best average for its age.

Looking at the MOT history, it seems its owners before you, used the MOT as a way of knowing what basic maintenance to do, seemed to regularly fail the MOT on things like tires being worn to the cords, wiper which didn't clear the screen, seems to have failed 4 out of it's first 5 MOT's. So if you try to push them to pay a higher amount for the car than you're offered, they may start bringing this sort of history up.

(y)

(y)

Exactly. The bumper is out of shape popped out where it meets the wings, some paint is cracked and if I tell you the indicator lens in the bumper is completely missing (smashed) and the fog light is smashed you'll then see those things.

If you open the bonnet the mounting points for the bumper where broken, same under the car and the wheel arch liner on that side had broken and was pressing on the wheel, all fairly minor things to be honest. Could have repaired it myself for probably the cost of a new front bumper off eBay and maybe could have gotten one in the right colour with all the accessories still attached.

To get it back to a state that an insurance accredited body shop would be happy with you were looking at £1400, only based on what could be seen in the pictures, as they didn't assess it in person I took loads of high quality photos and sent them to the assessor. It worked out well for me as I wanted rid of the car and after a chat with the insurance company they were happy to write it off and pay me out. Saves them the hassle of any unexpected costs once the work began.
I do see the missing lense covers now.

Given the need to find a car pretty damn quick, it looks like I might have to move away from Fiat. 🙁

Looking at valuation websites, they show it as being anything between £1200 - 1700 basing the valuation on insurance purposes not buying or selling.
They will very rarely pay the top end. They may settle somewhere in the middle of that, they may look at things like the remaining MOT which I see is only about 2 months and the last MOT showed quite a few fails so they may argue it is at best average for its age.

Looking at the MOT history, it seems its owners before you, used the MOT as a way of knowing what basic maintenance to do, seemed to regularly fail the MOT on things like tires being worn to the cords, wiper which didn't clear the screen, seems to have failed 4 out of it's first 5 MOT's. So if you try to push them to pay a higher amount for the car than you're offered, they may start bringing this sort of history up.
All the items it failed on last year were repaired.

And you reckon? I bought it from a very reputable dealer, and it had a full service history?

If you still have the Punto and the claim has not been settled then you will need to take out a new policy on the new car.
Having read the thread through..this is probably the only bit that may be incorrect, although I did used to do this sort of thing for a day job so perhaps not common knowledge.

Policy will stand as it was at the moment of the incident, the only ways to not get a pay out would be stop paying the policy if it's on installments. If it's found the claim or policy is fraudulent in some way. If you were under the influence of drink or drugs or if the vehicle was in an un-roadworthy condition that was deemed to have caused the accident.

So as long as the Punto is being kept off the road (legal requirement for insurance would apply if it isn't) the car could be declared sorn and the policy moved to a new a car.

That may have benefits in this case, given no mention of another party or details of the incident I'm assuming it's a single vehicle crash which would go down as fault. This would be need to be declared on a new policy, also you can't use NCD on 2 policies. The second part sounds ridiculous given just crashed but most policies even unprotected ones don't take all your bonus at once unless you've only got a few years. If you've got 5+ then you may be entitled to some after the incident but it's still in use on the original policy and is not transferable. Finally if you change the vehicle on existing they can only load on the risk at the start of the policy...so you'll be charged as if you had full NCD and no claim. This does mean it will shoot up at renewal..but no way to avoid that even pncd doesn't keep it at the same level.

Otherwise...good luck will be interested to see the replacement.

All the items it failed on last year were repaired.

And you reckon? I bought it from a very reputable dealer, and it had a full service history?
A full service history is expected, that’s considered normal.
They don’t add value for a full service history.

All the failed items being repaired is again to be expected or it shouldn’t have been on the road, but we’re nearly a year round with another mot coming up, as Steven points out they may look at mechanical defect being the cause of the accident?
But assuming there is no mechanical failure for the accident (they don’t look every hard just make sure nothing major is broken that shouldn’t be and check the tread depths) then I’m sure that would be fine.

Looking around those prices around £1700 seem reasonable for a grande of that age and mileage but those cars are in dealerships so they might knock money off saying this is the price for that car with a warranty and 12 month MOT.
Steven knows more than me on the insurance front.
I seem to think when my wife’s Punto HGT got written off in 2013 it was insured with Churchill and they gave a really lowball figure to start with based on it being a “Punto” and I had to argue quite hard that it was the HGT model and therefore very rare, even more so being the diesel version of which only about 100 were ever sold in the uk, eventually they offered me the average asking price for the 2 diesel HGTs that they could find forsale in the whole uk at that time.
But that argument was won on the rarity of the model, if you argue too hard they may go and find all those really cheap cars on Facebook market place, gumtree and eBay to make a valuation.
Your argument should be, that you shouldn’t be any worse off than what you had to begin with.

Well, I looked at a 2013 Hyundai i20 that at a local Ford main dealer, but it was very tatty, yet they still wanted £6k for it! 😐 Needless to say, I walked away from that 1 straight away. My parents had spotted a 2010 Punto Evo at a general used car dealer about half an hour away, this 1 I did actually take out for a spin; but as it was rather tatty for the money being asked, again I walked away. It was an absolute joy to drive though.

Well, I looked at a 2013 Hyundai i20 that at a local Ford main dealer, but it was very tatty, yet they still wanted £6k for it! 😐 Needless to say, I walked away from that 1 straight away. My parents had spotted a 2010 Punto Evo at a general used car dealer about half an hour away, this 1 I did actually take out for a spin; but as it was rather tatty for the money being asked, again I walked away. It was an absolute joy to drive though.
Market is crap at the moment...

Unless you want something absolutely undesirable it's expensive. It may be a case of going to first car principles and looking for something in "deceased spec" i.e. looked after basic car that outlasted it's owner depending on budget. Tends to be things like Micra's, or Clio's or I10s...

Back